Macbook Air 2011 is the best Windows Notebook I've ever had

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by kis, Aug 6, 2011.

1. kis macrumors 65816

I mean it: I've never had a Windows notebook that:

- is totally quiet in normal operation
    - is fast as heck at the same time
    - has a great trackpad
    - doesn't crash when it goes to sleep / comes back on

the only downside is the pricing.

I was going to use Lion mainly on this device but ended up disliking it massively - for my taste it just looks too much like an iPad (which was the intention of it, I guess - but I can't force myself to like it, no matter how much I try).

Anyway - this just for those who hold off buying the MBA because they're afraid they won't like Lion: Windows is perfect on this machine.

Peter

2. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Lion isn't really too much different than snow leopard. I don't even think it's very much like IOS.

Anyways...what method did you use to install windows on the air? I need to do it on mine.

3. MJL, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2011

MJL macrumors 6502a

As I've mentioned elsewhere: A Mac is the best platform to run Windows on. I do not want to get into a Windows versus OS X debate here, but each has their own target markets and own little quirks and it just depends on what's critical to you.

Installing Windows on a Mac Mini proved the most painless install I've experienced in years. (that is if one wants to do it right and have a stable machine. The last time I had a Windows crash (BSD) was under XP SP1 (touch wood) but running Windows and OS X on the same HDD has proven to be a challenge in the backup and restore department.

I've ordered a Newertech raid which will be my Windows backup location and will be running a generic version of Snow Leopard (rather than the dedicated Mac Mini install) so that if needs be I can boot on another Mac from this external raid. Only Windows 7 will be running on the internal HDD (enabling a fast restore which is important to me for a mission critical application I am running under windows). Am using both WinClone and Windows' built in backup and restore plus am using FBackup (free version of Backup4All) for the Windows backup.

I've given up hope on the "free Lion upgrade" (I bought my machine on the 12 July and have been going round in circles trying to get the free version) but the more I hear about Lion the more I expect that if/when I finally get it that I will not like it. However there is one job I need to do under OS X and then I can forget about OS X (bar for WinClone backups) and work 98% of the time under windows. The mini is extremely quiet and I love the ability to get my own matt screen (eye problems and they get aggravated with glossy ones) and the small footprint is also a bonus. Heck I could even throw the Mini in the hand luggage for travel on a plane and hook it up to a TV at the other end. Keyboard and mouse can go in the luggage. (I used laptops for the past 15 years but my eyes no longer can cope with a small laptop screen).

It will not be long before I replace the HDD with a SSD and then it will be even snappier than it already is.

Regarding pricing: I do not consider the Apple Mac overpriced - with a Windows machine you normally have the M$N "tax" for M$N Office, Outlook and even the OS. Apple has a different philosophy where there is a "hardware" tax which means that cross platform you have double the tax. But if done properly even that can be alleviated by having retail versions that can be moved to the next machine when you change. However from all that I gather the Apple Mac holds their value a lot better than any windows machine so in the end the TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) comes out about even. With worsening arthritis and increased reliability of platforms doing my own repairs is becoming rapidly a thing of the past so I am happy enough to leave that behind and stick to a platform that is difficult, if not impossible, to upgrade. Let's face it, many years ago with the old valve technology the TV repairman was regularly at your door to replace one of the tubes, these days it is not uncommon to have a TV going for 5, 10 or even longer (my mother recently replaced her TV that she got in 1987 with a plasma but it was still going) and building your own PC is something that is rapidly becoming an uneconomic thing to do as well.

4. kis thread starter macrumors 65816

I bought an el-cheapo Liteon external DVD drive (for about 25$) used bootcamp to partition the hard drive, had the windows drivers copied to a USB stick and installed right off the Windows DVD. I used Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit

Peter

5. kis thread starter macrumors 65816

Me neither - I'm sure most people are perfectly happy with Lion. I personally just don't like the direction Mac OS is taking. I've been a Mac OS user for around 15 years now, but Lion is where I personally have to draw the line. I still like Apple's hardware.

Peter

6. And macrumors 6502

And

Get rid of launchpad, hey presto - it's leopard again effectively...

7. Young Spade macrumors 68020

They really are switching things up a bit. Personally, I think Lion was the minor upgrade on top of SL; 10.8 will be the really big, revolutionary OS (7 to Lion's Vista).

I got extremely lucky and just bought a new MBP with 10.6.7 installed and I'm using that now. I downloaded my free copy of Lion and I'm just going to hold onto it until the bugs get worked out and I feel all of my applications would be carried over.

I hope they keep the complexity/power of SL/Lion in the next iteration though.

8. interinfo macrumors regular

Do you more people think this ? :eek:

9. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

My biggest gripe on running Windows in boot camp on an apple notebook is how crappy the trackpad works. The trackpad is perfect in OS X.

However, I've never used a trackpad on a windows laptop I liked.

10. interinfo macrumors regular

Can you elaborate on the crappiness...?