Macbook Air 2011: Purchased.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Macbookair2011, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Macbookair2011 macrumors newbie

Finally made the choice. After much deliberation, went with the 13inch! Even though I was initially favouring the 11inch.

13inch Base 4gb RAM 128gb SSD 1.7ghz corei5

Comments so far:

(1) Instant on even with 10.7.1 is still unreliable and slow (between 1-4seconds depending on luck). They better fix this/ be able to fix this!

(2) Double Samsung panel and SSD, sister got 13inch base also and got Toshiba SSD, panel the same unfortunately so cannot compare.

(3) Not too many issues, however before I downloaded 10.7.1 I got some random screen freezing..not much but a little. Now it is pretty good.

(4) Batterylife + screen etc are impressive so far.

(5) Love it so much.

(6) Like natural scrolling

(7) AWESOME.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

3. bizzle macrumors 6502a

I am using the base 13" and I've had no major issues. Wake from sleep is fast for me and it wakes to my login screen in usually less than a second. It's about as instant as I'd expect. If you use FileVault the wake is slower, but it's not a big deal, just something people like to whine about. The issues I've had with Lion are minimum. Really the only thing I can think of is inertia scrolling turns itself back on by itself even though its set to off. I have to turn it on and then turn it off for it to go back off. It'll turn back on at random intervals.

4. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

I went with the 256 i5 just because this is my main machine. I have a lot of video stuff and media on an external drive and I needed space on here for all my stuff. Cannot believe this machine though and typing on it is bliss.

5. Macbookair2011 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sometimes it is 1second super quick! But sometimes I get like 4second delay...do you get that occasionally? Sucks so much :( My only issue. Otherwise this laptop is pretty much 100000x better than god. Not saying that god is much good tho....maybe 100000x better than an orgasm. Better comparison?

6. KPOM macrumors G5

This should be fixed soon, particularly as other 'Ultrabooks" with the same feature will be coming out in a few weeks from ASUS, Acer, and others.

On the 2010, it was pretty much "instant" from regular sleep, and about 3-4 seconds from deep sleep. Deep sleep is the mode it switches to when it is unplugged and the lid closed for 70 minutes or more (that's what lets it stay active for up to 30 days). On the 2011 models, it's about 2-3 seconds on regular sleep and about 10 from deep sleep (at least that's been my experience). FileVault is part of it, but it's mostly a bug, I think. Also, even after 10.7.1, occasionally it fails to reconnect to my wi-fi network even though it is listed as preferred (I need to connect manually). I'm sure these are on the punchlist since other Lion users with SSDs (not just MacBook Air users) are reporting the same thing.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

Nothing on you, OP, but your comment sounds perfect for #firstworldproblems

8. Macbookair2011 thread starter macrumors newbie

Im sorry but I don't have time for third world problems, do you?

9. simply stunning macrumors regular

Congrats on the new machine. I just got mine this week to, and I love it! If I'm honest, I like using it more to surf the web than my IPad 2. Not to mention that with Lion it really feels like a new machine to me. Like it is something different than what I'm used to, so it makes it new and exciting!

I actually bought this for a work machine, to replace a Dell that I'm using now, but I'm still waiting for MS office to get here, so I'm working on the Dell, and it is driving me crazy. I just can't wait to get off work each day and use it when I get home. ;)

10. Macbookair2011 thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree. Issue is that the 2010 is INSTANT...always 1second or so (not in deep sleep). Whereas I feel this model is not so instant. Bit frustrating, you pay good money for the better product that isn't better than the old one in every aspect :(

11. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

That Twitter feed is funny. Sad, but funny at the same time. :cool:

12. Macbookair2011 thread starter macrumors newbie

Funny yes. Sad not really. My personal favourite:

(1) My iPhone always tilts the wrong way when I use it while I'm lying in bed.

13. Macbookair2011 thread starter macrumors newbie

EXTRA: For the last 4hours I have played with word, excel, powerpoint, bluetooth on, sending **** to my stupid sister on her Air, browsed internet with a USB modem (we don't have wifi, ****ing massive first world issue here!) and about between half and full screen brightness as I feel like it (mostly full), youtube (on and off music playing on full volume).

With all of that, I am down to 40% battery life. Heat on the base is minimal/not noticeable almost. However I am in Aus and it is winter.

No fan, no heat issues. Not saying this is typical, just sharing a personal experience, if ya keen!?

14. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

My 2011 11.6 is just as fast as my 2010 11.6 one is. I wouldn't be concerned about a second or so difference then again maybe I am showing my old age since it is not an issue with me:rolleyes::rolleyes:. A few seconds is nothing compared to what they use to be:D:D

15. misterneums macrumors 6502

Congrats on your computer. I hope you enjoy it!

16. urkel macrumors 68030

"Not so Instant On" is an annoyance, but what causes an actual problem for me is that sometimes it doesn't reconnect to my router so I have to toggle the WiFi connection.

The reason this is such a big problem is because of the limited SSD drive space I have my iTunes Library and other files connected to an external drive on my Time Capsule. So my drive is named "Seagate" when I close the machine, but "Seagate 1" when I reopen it and that name change breaks a lot of links in iTunes and other apps.

Hopefully this is a bug that will be squashed some day, but since I haven't heard anyone else mention it then I hope its not my machine. Because I love this thing.

(BTW. I got 13" originally but went for 11" and feel so much more comfortable with it)