MacBook Air 2011 weaker lid magnets than 2010??

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MALmen, Aug 11, 2011.

1. MALmen macrumors member

I notices that the lid on my new MacBook Air 13" 2011 is very easy to open, it was much harder on the 2010 modell. Anyone else notices the weaker lid magnets on the new model? If i turn the macbook air upsidedown and only holding the base the lid will open by itself 5mm.. just want to know if this is normal or not.

2. jsolares macrumors 6502a

I wanted to try but i just can't hold just the base :p

3. jackyyeow macrumors 6502

My first reaction too - how you can hold just the base while keeping the lid closed??

Never really notice it, maybe because I don't feel the need to do so? Anyway I don't recall any differences between my 2010 13" and my friends 2011 13". Both needed the same effort to open.

Maybe your 2010 has some oversized magnet?:D

4. ZipZap macrumors 603

5. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

I seem to remember when the 2010 Airs came out, I went to the Apple Store and tried to open them with 1 finger, like the woman in the ads does, but I couldn't, the whole thing lifted up off the table.

I tried the same thing with the new ones in the Apple Store, and I can open the lid up to almost 90 degrees with one finger before the base lifts off the table.

I don't know if the hinge is weaker, or if it's just that the 2011 models have been in the shop getting abused for weeks, and the 2010s had only been there for a day when I tried.

6. geekygeek macrumors regular

7. MALmen thread starter macrumors member

My impression to, the 2010 Air was impossible to open with one finger but the 2011 opens very easily.

8. mopppish macrumors 6502

I noticed this as well.
    At first I thought "damn, they left the magnets out of my new air!"
    But, I guess this makes sense since the thing is so light and would be too difficult to open with strong magnets.
    So long as it stays closed in my bag, I'm happy.

9. iphonsteve4ajob macrumors regular

I'm going to have to second this? I always thought it was the hinge friction which was causing the resistance. Guess you learn something new everyday. Could anyone tell me where exactly in the lid the magnets are? Is it the top and two sides? Or just one long piece in the top?

10. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

yeah im pretty sure its the magnets

i thought i read another post about this earlier too. but it seems like the consensus is that w/ the new air, you can lift it w/ your finger, but not all the way before the base lifts off the ground (same for me too)

11. calvol macrumors 6502a

The 2011 Air is 0.08 lbs heavier due to the keyboard LED backlights.