MacBook Air 2012 128GB is Ok for gaming?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by DJnaknik, Jul 21, 2012.

1. DJnaknik macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,
    I recently acquired a new MBA 2012 1.8GHZ 128GB.

I know its not build for gaming but i still would like to play a few games at school.
    I tried to play the Batman game, It worked fine but i heard the fan kicking in very early so i got scared and stopped playing.

could this use and play damage the computer?
    should I stop installing big games and stick to Angry Birds?

Thank you!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Your machine will shut off if the CPU heat exceeds its design specifications.

3. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Fans will kick in because games are usually CPU and GPU intensive. It's normal, nothing to worry about... The MBA is not really design for gaming, but it can of course play some games at low-medium settings quite decently. If you're Ok playing games at low settings, then you'll be fine.

PS: Beside the fans kicking it, the MBA can / will also heat up quite a bit ( still normal, but it might be uncomfortable to hold on your lap sometimes ).

4. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Nothing to worry about. My friend runs D3 on his 2011 2gb ram/64ssd MBA, and it runs just fine (albeit at all lowest settings). The fans do come on, but otherwise, he enjoys smooth and relatively lag free gameplay. :)

5. DJnaknik thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!

is there a way I can monitor the stress on the my MBA While I play?
    like Temp? Memory? Battery?

thank you again..

6. Retina MacBook macrumors regular

Why not? You can play Assassin's creed, Batman Arkham City. Portal 2, Need for speed and every game you can think of. In low graphics settings, of course.

7. backwardsrain macrumors newbie

When I play Dragon Age II, it gets really hot and the fans are at top speed the entire time. I elevated the back of the air a little to help disperse heat which seems to help.

8. Belgrano macrumors member

Yes. It's a great computer. It runs programs. Including games.

There are SO MANY threads about this.

9. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I have a 2011 1.6GHZ and it works great for gaming on a lot of games! It can get warm, the fan will blow at full blast the whole time (this is normal and a good thing)...but nothing bad will come of it. You will be fine!

10. forugaurav macrumors newbie

Correct me if i am wrong, but there is no Official NFS for mac!!

Are you running windows on AIR?

----------

I am able to play the following games on my MBA 13' mid-2012 128 gigs, 4gb ram:

Trine (high settings)
    TF2 (high settings)
    All the gameloft games (high settings)
    Torchlight (high settings)

Unable to play even on low settings:

Trine2

----------

Hey which Assassin's creed?

11. SpoekGTi macrumors regular

Getting scared and stopping when the fan kicks in, it's like stopping you car when you hear your radiator fan kicking in :p

Ofcourse the MBA ain't a gaming rig, but to my surprise it runs the games i play actually really smooth, yes it gets a wee bit noisy and hot running Diablo 3, but i even can play WoW without excessive heat and noise.

Havent try any other ' high' end games but it will do fine as long there is a Mac version for it. In my virtual machine (Win 7 x64) the fan kicks in earlier and i only tried to watch some HD video just as a test which also to my surprise actually runs smooth :D

I got the i5, 8GB and 256GB version 13inch

I never thought to fall in love with hardware but goshdarnit this comes very close :D

12. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

I've been using this for years, I like it.http://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/

13. macabouttobe macrumors regular

macabouttobe

Anyone play Minecraft? My kids do and I'm curious as I start thinking about getting baseline 13" air.

Thanks!

14. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Your computer is already monitoring the stress and will shut down if necessary. It does a much better of doing this than you ever could.

There are plenty of applications that let you see the temperatures and fan speeds... You can either use your computer or you can spend your time fussing and monitoring it. The choice is up to you.

15. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Or rather, stopping exercise when you start to sweat. :p

Seriously, don't worry about stressing your apple laptop from time to time, it is far more durable than people here seem to give it credit for. :D

16. Retina MacBook macrumors regular

There is an official NFS for Mac, it's the NFS Carbon. And every assassins creed will work heavenly on the MBA. Not sure about the fourth one, though. But I doubt hat it wouldn't work. And yes, I do run Windows on a Mac.

17. asting macrumors 6502

I came back to call shenanigans. I just installed trine 2 just to test out the graphics (haven't beaten trine 1 yet). I set it to medium, no aa, and 1440*900. The game was damn smooth. I'll be playing it at a higher setting most likely. I do have 4gb more ram, but I wasn't anywhere near saturating 4gb it's possible the extra vram helped, but I doubt it. If there's some way I can tell I'll test that out too.

18. lukekarts macrumors regular

Yeah, runs fine on a 2011 MBA. Runs pretty hot but this is 'normal'.

19. RaidersFan223 macrumors member

RaidersFan223

20. Blade Crusher macrumors newbie

21. 2IS macrumors 68030

I haven't actually tried it, but based on my knowledge of the game and the hardware in the 2012 MBA, it should handle it nicely.

22. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

LIES! no way you can afford Apple products and have kids
    :D

(i'm in the same boat, my eldest loves minesweeper. i imagine it will run fine on a the newer MBAs)

23. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

Here's something I learned about Macs, never worry that it'll heat up. The only reason worrying becomes an option is when you block the exhaust for more than 15 minutes. HD4000 should handles the games you want to play. Keep in mind that it will play every single game on the Mac App Store at least low settings around 1080p. COD4 is confirmed to be working at 1080p ultra settings 40~60 fps (some settings may need to be toggled, based off of i7 mac mini). Dishonored and Deus Ex should work around 1080p and medium to low respectively at 30~50 fps. That's pretty respectable.