MacBook Air 2012 craigslist?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by prodeuce, Aug 27, 2014.

1. prodeuce macrumors newbie

I want to get a MacBook Air for college but Im trying to get a good one for a good price. I found a 13" MacBook Air 2012 in near mint or mint condition for 975. It has an i7, 8 gb of ram, and 256 gb ssd. Its under AppleCare until October 2015. I was also thinking of getting a brand new 8 gb 2014 13" air from apple which comes to about 1136 with tax. Is the craigslist buy a good deal?

2. rei101 macrumors 6502a

Call the seller and ask them questions but Macs are like BMWs... they either work or not, there are no lemons. And if it has Apple Care you are all set.

3. gosujc macrumors newbie

Do you strictly want a Macbook Air with those specs or are you content with a more less powerful one.

I recently purchased my Macbook Air for $820 from best buy; this includes tax also.

The Macbook was brand new but it doesn't have the specs that the craigslist one is offering. It was a 4gb and 1.4 ghz i5.

Unfortunately Best Buy didn't offer the 8 GB model.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

The CList model is at a pretty good price for it's specs and having AppleCare till 10-2015 is a nice piece of insurance!

5. LxHunter macrumors 6502

Be sure to check the serial number for Apple warranty.
    And the number of battery cycles

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

IMO a batter deal for you with full factory warranty would be something from the Apple refurb store.

7. cebseb macrumors regular

Its close in price, but then he also has to pay tax on top of that...

I gave my thumbs up for the craigslist buy as long as you're thorough about checking it out before any money changes hands.

8. campyguy macrumors 68040

I agree with Weaselboy, having purchased a few Airs and rMBPs from the Refurb Store (the refurb.me website makes that a bit easier). We've got two Airs with very similar specs but the newer 2014 Air with the newer Haswell processor is definitely a nicer machine than our 2012.

Buying that CL deal gets you a year's worth of insurance. Buying from the Refurb Store gets you that same year with an option to extend another 2 years.

I'd also suggest checking out AI's website for deals: http://prices.appleinsider.com/#Current_Generation - I bought a rMBP from MacMall that was a screaming deal and still have that machine. Also check their Macs + AppleCare - recently Adorama was adding in free AC on a Mac purchase, and we took them up on one.

And, you're sooooo close to the Labor Day weekend and it's coveted sales that go with it. Your CL deal is OK to me, but nothing special IMO given the choices you have.

9. SusanK macrumors 68000

I have always had good experiences with Apple refurbs. If you can find a configuration there that works for you it's the way to go IMHO.

10. cebseb macrumors regular

11. campyguy macrumors 68040

12. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

IMO, you should get a 2014 Macbook Air 256GB w/ 4GB DDR3 at Best Buy for $908 during their next sale where you can use a movers coupon and the .edu coupon. the 2013/2014 Macbook Air gets considerably better battery life, and has the newest graphics which is absolutely amazing.

unless you are using the MBA for some serious VM, you can get away with 4GB very easily and the i5 (2014) vs i7 (2014) performance may actually fall in favor of the i5 or the i7 extra performance may be negligible. paying that much money for ivy bridge is a rip off

13. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I agree, with my 11.6" MBA the 2013's we're where I needed to be minimum for battery life and I'd been considering this form factor MBA since they came out in 2010 and patiently waiting to upgrade a win7 laptop...