MacBook Air 2012 + TD or MacBook Pro Retina

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by KimHansenDK, Jul 18, 2012.

1. KimHansenDK macrumors 6502

Decisions decisions decisions...

I have spent the last days thinking about this but I just cannot seem to make a decision. I'm looking to buy one of the following combos and use it with a Wacom digitizer:

1. MacBook Air 2012 (i7 and 8GB) + Thunderbolt Display + keyboard and mouse
    2. MacBook Pro Retina (2.3Ghz and 16GB) + mStand + keyboard and mouse

The things I will be using it for are graphics design for web and iOS apps and a little Diablo 3 and Football Manager.

One of my concers about the rMPB, besides the many defect sccreens, is that non retina graphics will be hard to do on the high resolution display - but on the other hand I don't know if the MBA will be powerful enough in a year or two.

Please help me make the right decision :)

2. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I am not sure what you mean by many defect screens. 5 people on Macrumors.com giving subjective opinions on their screen does not make equate to "many defect screens". My rMBP screen is perfect. There are thousands of others that have the same experience, but you won't see them all in the hospital shouting that they are healthy. Making a purchasing decision based on OCD and hysterical forum posts is not a wise decision.

3. Yaqdhan macrumors member

4. Seamaster macrumors 6502a

Seamaster

Better not read all the posts here about LG versus Samsung panels in the MBA, then.

5. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Ouch. Don't forget it's not just LG vs Samsung in the 2012 models any more.

6. KimHansenDK thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay forget the concern about defect screens :)

MacBook Air and TD or MacBook Pro Retina?

7. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Since you are going to be doing graphic design and also want to play some games, I think the rMBP choice is quite obvious. Not saying that the 13.3" MBA couldn't handle what you throw at it ( it would in a more than decent manner ), but you'll surely appreciate the larger screen / resolution of the rMBP when having to work with graphics and the dedicated GPU for games isn't a bad thing either :)

Of course, you lose some portability but if that's not a HUGE concern, then still the rMBP in my opinion would be more advantageous for your needs. The MBA is definitely a wonderful machine, but working with large graphics on a small screen for many hours on a daily basis can get to be a bit painful ( although "painful" is quite subjective in the end ).

8. theSeb, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012

theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

That really depends. The rMBP is more powerful in both CPU and GPU, but a lot less portable. I have a 2011 MBA ultimate and a rMBP. I love the rMBP, but it's too big to fit into my favourite man bag, therefore I still carry the MBA with me. The ATD + MBA is a nice compromise, but if you're going to be using an ATD with the MBA a lot, then you may as well get a Mini when it's refreshed.

Both the MBA and the rMBP will be able to do what you want to do, but the rMBP will handle the games side a lot better.

Edit to add: I actually wanted to buy a new Mac Pro, but it wasn't refreshed so I bought the rMBP since my company's year end is coming to an end and I wanted to reduce my profit. I regret it slightly now, because I am realising that an iMac would have made more sense if you consider how much I paid for the rMBP. Once I've connected all of the TB devices, it looks like a mess. I probably should have waited for an iMac. Do you really need the portability? People go on about working on a couch, but I find that impractical and it stuffs up your back.

9. ilivelife macrumors member

Du skal selvfølgelig vælge retina med 16gb ram. Ellers en MBA og en iMac. Personligt kører jeg sidste setup. :)

10. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

While the "stuff up your back" part might be accurate, the "impractical" part I think is totally subjective. I personally do the same, sit most of the time on a couch or bed ( and nopes, I have no back problems... not yet at least and even if I do eventually end up having, maybe they won't necessarily be caused by the many years of working while sitting in a couch / laying in bed )... I simply find it a lot more pleasant experience than sitting in a chair at a desk... but as I said, I think this is completely subjective.

Even at office, my sitting position in the chair is like the following:

[​IMG]

... yeah, couldn't find a better photo, so Manny from Modern Family does the trick :)
    PS: I'm a software engineer and not a fat one... quite a skinny one actually.

11. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

It is indeed subjective, hence why I said, "I find that impractical", instead of , "It is impractical". That looks pretty comfy and I sit like that in meetings. lol

12. caligomez macrumors regular

caligomez

LOL... And yet they are everywhere on this site.. :D

13. jamesj113037 macrumors newbie

I'm also doing web design, 'light' graphics work, & app design. I bought the 13" MBA (with the idea of using my TV until I get a TBD) and haven't looked back. Runs Xcode, Aperture, and CS6 flawlessly, but I don't game on it.

Portability was a big factor since I hop around town quite often.

Hope this helps!

14. KimHansenDK thread starter macrumors 6502

I just got the MacBook Pro Retina with 16GB RAM.

Damn this is a nice machine - and there are no signs of lag go screen problems. The only small thing that I have 'found' is a bit of a creaking noise when I push underneath the laptop. Just like the bottom part (screws) is not tightened enough.

Would you guys take it back? Or maybe they can just tighten the screws at the store? I would really like to keep this machine as the screen seem perfect.

I am really surprised by this laptop - I can easily see myself design on this thing. And if needed I can always get an external display :)

15. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

My bad, sorry... Did not read your reply properly.
    I have to stop sleeping only 2-3 hours a day... might lead to some small miracles. :)

16. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I would go back to the store. They normally can tighten the screws for you. I don't have this problem so you should not suffer with it either.

----------

I am running on 5 - that makes me grumpy enough.

17. aloshka macrumors 65816

Mine makes a similar noise, but ive haven't noticed it until yesterday. It's very hard to recreate on mine, I think it's the vents. Doesn't bother me, and the screws are tight on mine

18. bf2008 macrumors member

You don't mention whether you need a laptop and portability at all. You'll get a much better experience when working at a desk if you have a large screen, with keyboard and mouse than working with a laptop. I'd go for the TBD option, and if you don't even need a laptop, then an iMac perhaps, of Mac Mini?

19. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

My advice: Pick up all three (MBA, RMBP, TBD) them them up and see which combination you seem to go to the most in your daily usage. If you're worried about retina graphics then that can be done on the TBD.