Macbook air 2013 as Desktop replacement queries

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by hbksabhi, Jul 10, 2013.

1. hbksabhi macrumors regular

I am from india and right now i am using a windows desktop with configuration
    Q9550 core 2 quad
    4 gb ddr 2 ram
    2 TB hdd
    HD4890

and now i need a portabilty and dont play games now and would buy ps4 later if needed , the question is i always wanted the macbook air and now with back to school discounts its 1000 dollars here and there is not option to upgrade to 8 GB over here .........
    And reading on this forum about how 4 gb aint enough , i dont know what to do
    rMBP is not an option as its not upgraded but i do love the display on that
    And i am going to sell my desktop for mac air

Please help me out with all possible options

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Whether 4GB is enough or not really depends on what you're going to do with it, and how long you intend to keep it. You're using 4GB now.. are you finding it's not enough? If not, then you should be okay.

Based on what you have now, I'd almost say you aren't going to see that much of an improvement, if any, in performance on a MacBook Air compared to your current setup. Although the CPU is a newer generation, you're going from a quad core desktop CPU to a dual-core mobile CPU where power savings is preferred over speed. Your RAM is the same, though arguably the RAM is faster on the Air. And you'll be sacrificing a lot of internal storage space.

What you'll be gaining though, is vastly better portability, and the ability to run OS X. If those are important enough to you, then it's worth buying.

3. hbksabhi thread starter macrumors regular

I find my cpu fine and i hardly push iit to its limits so processor on air will be fine , and there will be a lot of difference coz of faster ram and blazing ssd of air

In windows when i open task manager it shows thatbyounare using less than 2 g of ram

And i asked one of my friend who owns air and said never buy 4g as he said he has a app installed called free memory and even on idle only few hundred mb of ram is available
    And i intend to keep it a along time .....
    I kept my desktop for 4 plus years

4. hbksabhi thread starter macrumors regular

5. TC25 macrumors 68020

Get 8 gigs

6. hbksabhi thread starter macrumors regular

7. TC25 macrumors 68020

Then there's no decision to be made, correct?

8. hbksabhi thread starter macrumors regular

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Retina it is then. Though, I'd suggest waiting until the Haswell rMBPs come out.

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Are you able to buy an 8GB model anywhere else? Because if you can't, then you've answered your own question.

11. hbksabhi thread starter macrumors regular

12. zipur macrumors 6502

yep get the 8G, if you can't get it in an Air, they get the rMBP. easy.

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Well, if you can't get an 8GB model, then you can't get an 8GB model. Get the 4GB model.

If you can somehow get the 8GB mode, then get the 8GB model. But you said you can't. So you answered your own question. Get the 4GB model.

If the choice is between 4GB or nothing, I'd get the 4GB model. If the choice is between a 4GB model and an 8GB model, I'd get the 8GB model. More memory is better.

14. hbksabhi thread starter macrumors regular

So between mac air 4gb and nothing

If thats the case should i wait for haswell rmbp