MacBook Air 2013 i7 Battery Life

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by k3ith, Jun 17, 2013.

1. k3ith macrumors regular

k3ith

Is absolutely terrible! If you're buying this new MacBook Air refresh for the awesome claimed battery life, then definitely for the i5 because I have been doing MINIMAL web browsing and absolutely NO intensive computing and will be lucky if I get 8 hours today... far from the 12 apple claims for the i5.

Wish I would have known how badly this chip effected battery life.

What a waste!

2. coolio93 macrumors 6502

Umm there may be something working in the background or the computer may still be indexing. I got 11 hours and 30 minutes yesterday and I have the ultimate model.

3. k3ith thread starter macrumors regular

k3ith

Sorry, nope! I started it as a fresh computer.

4. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Have you checked Activity Moniter?

5. revisionA macrumors 6502

I've went 9 hours and had 20 percent left... you're doing something odd.

6. musika macrumors 65816

musika

Well, the i5 13" Airs do seem to be getting around 13-15 hours of real use. So that does seem like a bit of an impact with the upgraded processor.

7. whooda4 macrumors newbie

Im getting over 8hrs. I dont know how much more because I have not gone below 30%. i7 with 8gb ram. Thats with wed browsing, some videos and some airplay videos.

I went 3 hours airplaying a HD video from my nas and lost 30%. That is pretty processor intensive and I still should have been able to go over 8hrs.

Are you playing games? Parallels? The ratings are based on average usage. Its like getting upset your not getting the rated mpg when you drive 85mph on the highway.

8. technowar macrumors 6502

Or maybe you have the 11" which has only 9 hours batt life?

9. Neeyul macrumors member

Dat post ^^

Also dat quiet fan.

10. techn0lady macrumors regular

My i7 is showing 10.5 hours left while doing web browsing on AC wifi and screen brightness set 2 clicks below max.

FWIW the first couple hours my estimated hours were incorrect and showing like 5 hours time on 100% charge. I let it go down to 95 or so then charged up again - did that 2 times and the estimated time indicator is now over 10 hours - fyi.

11. musika macrumors 65816

musika

11" or 13"?

12. techn0lady macrumors regular

13. lshirase macrumors regular

14. aristobrat macrumors G4

IMO, the two things that Apple does on its battery tests that most folks don't replicate is setting the screen brightness 12 clicks from the bottom, and not installing Adobe Flash.

15. techn0lady macrumors regular

FWIW I'm finding that estimates of battery life via the menubar icon can vary widely depending on how much I am typing or using the machine. An hour ago the estimate was 10.5 ... the it went down to 9.5 and it's back up to 10.5 again after an hour. I've used 6% in an hour so far. All in all batterry life appears to be a lot longer - if I can get a decent 8 hours out of it I'll be a happy camper.

16. k3ith thread starter macrumors regular

k3ith

Like, right now I'm sitting down and with spotify, messages, word, and chrome open with a few tabs and the computer is super warm...

I definitely just have went for the i5.

and yes, I have the 13 inch. I really don't need the extra comp power, but thought it would be good to future proof my computer, but in hindsight that was pretty silly as now I have a super hot, battery intensive mac :( when all I wanted was something to shoot off emails with and do some light browsing...

might do a swap at the apple store tomorrow

17. curtoise macrumors 6502a

It is safe to assume that the i5 will get longer battery life based on today's online reviews?

18. musika macrumors 65816

musika

Probably. But hey, you're the lucky one with both machines to play with!

19. curtoise macrumors 6502a

I know, it is difficult with 8gb and the other 4gb, I wish they are both 4 or 8gb to really know the difference as the i7 opens apps immediately after clicking on the icon, the i5 will bounce 2-3 times before showing the app.

20. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

21. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

You've got 14 days. Basing your opinion on just the first day isn't really the way to do it. the battery needs to calibrate, and Spotlight needs to finish indexing. the first use is always going to be the shortest as a result. If your battery life is still bad and the casing is still hot after two days, then take it back.

FWIW, my 13 inch i7 is very cool to the touch, and it's been installing software and encrypting for filevault. I've been running it for nearly 8 hours now, and the battery says I have 3 hours, 18 minutes to go. Initially on first boot, it told me I only had 5 hours of battery life. So, the first estimate was clearly off.

22. taff2003 macrumors member

I picked up a 13" MBA i7 / 8GB RAM / 512GB SSD yesterday.

I wasn't too impressed with the battery life as I used it yesterday and earlier today as I didn't seem to be getting any more than about 3.5 hours of use on a full charge. I checked Activity Monitor, and all appeared to be ok... until I switched the filter to "All Processes" and then discovered that my Carbonite back-up software was continuously consuming 100-150% of CPU usage! :eek:

I removed this software, gave the MBA a good charge and now the machine is showing 16:29 remaining at 100% :) I'm not doing anything intensive on the MBA as yet, but it looks like battery life is going to be just fine...

23. DoctorK4 macrumors regular

Sounds similar to the other report of an initial Dropbox sync taking up 139% of CPU and triggering the fan to spin up.

24. curtoise macrumors 6502a

Yes, fan came only on Dropbox setup and it just went crazy for about one hour and very hot bottom while re-installing Mountain Lion

25. musika macrumors 65816

musika

But that's reinstalling the OS, not really day to day use stuff. Dropbox has always needed to get their **** together, CPU-wise.