MacBook Air 2013 slow shutdown.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by sachin234000, Jul 17, 2013.

1. sachin234000 macrumors newbie

Bought MacBook Air 13" with base configuration and machine is awesome. Boot time is around 10 seconds but the shut-down is horrible around 30seconds.
    Don't know if it's a bug or anything else. :(

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

3. luisito macrumors regular

luisito

How often do you shut it down? From personal experience, I only shut it down with every update. If I am not using it, it is sleeping, if I am sleeping, my MBA is sleeping as well.

Apple Mobile Computers are not like PC Laptops, since Apple has put an insane amount of optimization on the sleep function. If you sleep your MBA, it will only take around 1 second, or the time it takes you to close the lid. You can sleep the computer for 30 days and still wake up instantly, around 1 second as well. The reason that I emphasize the sleep function, is because there are no mechanical parts on your MBA, thus, the sleep function has much greater benefit from that.

I may not have a solution for your problem, but it has always bugged me to hear people that they completely shut down their machine and treat it as a PC or not know how optimized is the sleep function on Apple Mobile Computers (against the awful sleep function on PC), or they are simply skeptical about the sleep function.

The same principle goes with the iPhone, I've never encounter anyone that shuts it down, if not in use, they are always sleeping, being a smaller device doesn't make any difference.

Anyways, I hope this helps.

4. sachin234000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem solved.

Yeah thanks. From 25 seconds to 3-4 seconds. But any negative effects? Again thanks a ton.

----------

Impressed, will try to do the same. But shutting down air helps in clearing ram memory, my 2013 air has only 4GB ram.
    But thanks anyway.

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

None that I can see. Once in a while it will again take 20 seconds to shutdown, but rarely. It's 4-5 seconds now consistently.