Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigtel

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2016
Hi,

I have aMacbook Air Mid 2013 - 1.7GHz i7 - 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - 128 GB SSD

Never had a problem with it in 5 years, last week I shut it down then started it up a week later and it's not worked correctly since.

It either freezes soon after the desktop loads or I get the flashing folder icon.

Had the flashing folder icon, tried repairing the internal hard drive and it wasn't showing.

I took it to an Apple approved shop here, they tested it and intially said all the checks said it was just software. They then said it was the SSD drive and this would cost £335 to replace. I said no due to the cost.

I have searched and found similar issues and ran through each step of this...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8277339

Nothing seem to solve it 100% but at times it seems to be working ok and when in Safe Mode, it works fine.

Would it work in safe mode if it was the SSD??

I've tried to install Mojave but it states 'macOS could not be installed on your computer. The installer resourses were not found'

Any ideas on what I can do or is it a new mac or SSD?

Thanks

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
you can buy 256GB SSD for less than £150 on eBay, iFixit has a guide how to replace the SSD, £335 for 128GB SSD sounds almost like a scam

Reactions: bigtel

bigtel

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2016
Thanks for the replies, I got 128GB of ebay for £33! I'll give that a try when it arrives.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.