Macbook Air 2013 > Thunderbolt Display > Belkin Dock > Dell U2711. Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by GuitarZero, Mar 11, 2014.

1. GuitarZero macrumors newbie

I'm using a Macbook Air 2013 with Dell U2711 connects to the Belkin Thunderbolt dock. I'm considering adding Apple Thunderbolt Display as second display. The problem is I cannot plug the U2711's display port/mini display port to Apple Thunderbolt Display's thunderbolt port. Is it possible to put the Belkin dock in between of the Apple Thunderbolt Display and Dell U27711 to make the chain like this:

Macbook Air 2013 > thunderbolt cable > Thunderbolt Display > Thunderbolt cable > Belkin Dock > Mini display port to display port cable > Dell U2711

Thanks for your help!

2. Gunlance macrumors newbie

I don't have an air but a 2011 MBP.

I have MBP > Thunderbolt Display > Caldigit Dock > apple mini display port to dvi adapter > u2711.

Something to note, 10.9.2 broke my dell monitors resolution when using the mini display port to dvi adapter. I *think* it may work with a mini display port to display port adapter but I haven't had a chance to test yet.

3. GuitarZero thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I already have the mini display port to display port cable.

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

5. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

6. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Hmm, MacBook Air specs say internal and "an external display" whereas MacBook Pro specs say "two external displays". Perhaps MacBook Air can handle two only in clamshell mode, without the internal display running? I have a 2013 MacBook Air but no ThunderBolt Display so no easy way to test.

7. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Apple has never stated that what the OP wants to do is supported on any Mac with only a Thunderbolt port. However, it is has been proven time and time again that it works.