Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spacewolf

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2011
Hi,

I currently have a MacBook Pro 2011 and I'm going to be replacing it with a MacBook Air 2013, what kind of differences will I notice if any, good and bad?

I mainly use

iPhoto
Safari
Pixelmator
TextWrangler

I'm also wanting to use Windows 8 in Parallels to play some old PC games via Steam.

I just don't really want to be downgrading rather than upgrading.

model citizen

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2009
I just made the same upgrade, run the same apps. For me, it's no contest – the Air is much faster.

It's weird because I'm still having trouble making the mental leap that this tiny 11" computer could outperform the big 15" one, but in every respect so far (Ableton Live, image processing, games), it has.

I do regret not stumping for the larger SSD though...

spacewolf

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2011
Thanks for the replies guy! Looks like I'll definitely be getting an Air.

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
FYI - The Haswell Air even trumps the 2012 Retina Macbook Pro in like all areas.

I recommend getting the bump to 8GB Ram which makes running parallels smooth as silk.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
FYI - The Haswell Air even trumps the 2012 Retina Macbook Pro in like all areas.

I recommend getting the bump to 8GB Ram which makes running parallels smooth as silk.

You mean in everything except CPU, screen quality, and in the case of the rMBP15 GPU power. My rMBP 15 destroys my 2013 11/i7/8/256 when it comes to cpu tasks. Given how Haswell so far has been a very mild speed boost in cpu power vs. Ivy Bridge, I think I'll be waiting several Intel generations or more if/when Apple decides to put a quad core cpu in a MBA form factor.

kahkityoong

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011
Melbourne, Australia

It does not.

I own the early 2011 BTO MBP upgraded to 16GB and with a 6G OWC 240GB SSD in addition to a 480GB 3G for extra capacity. It is definitely faster than my ultimate edition Haswell MBA for photo editing. Quad core is quad core. That said, I still find going to the MBA no great hardship, with the decrease in processing power an acceptable compromise for its mobility.

Last edited:

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
Hi,

I currently have a MacBook Pro 2011 and I'm going to be replacing it with a MacBook Air 2013, what kind of differences will I notice if any, good and bad?

I mainly use

iPhoto
Safari
Pixelmator
TextWrangler

I'm also wanting to use Windows 8 in Parallels to play some old PC games via Steam.

I just don't really want to be downgrading rather than upgrading.

the BAD:
-no ethernet have to use the only thunderbolt port or half of the USB ports to get it
-no DVD drive have to use the other USB port to get it
-color gammut on the screen is not as good

the GOOD:
-same screen resolution so the same amount will fit on the smaller screen
-much much much faster due to SSD
-faster graphics
-much much much longer battery life
-faster wifi
-thinner, lighter and more portable

The only thing I would prefer about the air is if they gave it another thunderbolt port or HDMI or another USB port.

spacewolf

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2011
new deal - thanks heaps, this was very helpful. I completely didn't even realise that it didn't have an Ethernet port. Having a quick think about it though I don't think I've ever used the one on my MBP.

If anyone here had the choice of the two machines MBP 2011 and MBA 2013 what one would you guys choose? (for my needs, not yours).

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
new deal - thanks heaps, this was very helpful. I completely didn't even realise that it didn't have an Ethernet port. Having a quick think about it though I don't think I've ever used the one on my MBP.

If anyone here had the choice of the two machines MBP 2011 and MBA 2013 what one would you guys choose? (for my needs, not yours).
I can't speak about the 2011 MBP, but I have a 2010 MBP and I WAY prefer my Haswell MBA.

spacewolf

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2011
Ok I'm really close now to buying day and really need some reassurance that this (MBA 2013) will top my MBP 2011. Someone gimme something good!! Please

eidrunner247

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2006
Ok I'm really close now to buying day and really need some reassurance that this (MBA 2013) will top my MBP 2011. Someone gimme something good!! Please

The battery life alone on the MBA will intoxicate you. I've never felt the need to plug it in or worry about using my MBA too long and have to figure out where my outlet is, or how long it would take me to charge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.