MacBook Air 2013

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Lvo, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Lvo macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I need a new notebook for school. I'm doing a education where i need to run virtual machines. I need to run 2 virtual machines. Well this is my question. Can i run with the new macbook air with these specs; 1,7-GHz dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost 3,3 GHz, 8 GB 1600-MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM, 256gb flash. I will save all my files on a extern harddrive. Do you guys think i can use this notebook for my education?

Thanks.

2. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

I personally feel thats more than enough specs but I'm no expert.

3. sk3tch macrumors regular

The only concern I have with my MBA for VMs is the RAM. 8GB is not a lot...depending on the application(s) within your VM you may need more than the 6GB (or so) you can safely give to VM (allow 2GB for your Mac OS X).

So, running 2 at a time - probably won't be the best solution. May want to look at a MacBook Pro with SSD and 16GB RAM.

4. SMDBill macrumors 6502

It's plenty. And with the SSD speeds claimed with the new MBA, swap space usage if you run out of RAM will be hugely better than older machines.

5. Lvo thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm currently using a dell xps17 with 4gb of ram and than my own os won't run smooth any more. I just need to install a windows server 2008 with some features like dhcp etc. And besides that another windows sercer 2008 or a windows 7.

So should i go for the new mba with the specs listened above ?

6. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

Well, you're asking three operating systems to use 8GB of RAM. It will work but it's not ideal. Modern OSes are RAM hungry. With that said you have a 30 day return window to exchange it. Load everything up and see how much page file you have in use.