Macbook Air 2014 Newbie Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Mcdevidr, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

I have a question about the Macbook Air. I just bought an open box 13.3 base model from Best Buy for school and got a great deal 801 after tax. So far I am loving the machine as I bought it for school and to be my main computer.

My question is, is it normal for the MacBook Air to take a little while to wake from sleep? I have noticed that if I try to wake it right after it falls asleep it takes even longer to wake up. Is all of this normal behavior?

2. Banquo's Ghost macrumors newbie

I'm sure that more technically minded people will be able to comment on this, but I've certainly noticed a slow-down on waking from sleep since installing Mavericks OSX. Not significant (in reality, it's probably less than a second) but my Air used to be almost immediate - at least to my perception.

It also takes a bit longer to connect to WiFi - again, I recall things being faster.

in the greater scheme of things, it's not something that keeps me awake at night. :)

3. motrek macrumors 68020

If you close the lid, it will take a couple seconds to start sleeping. If you open it right back up, it will still be going to sleep, then it needs to wake up again, so it's expected that it will take a couple seconds.

If you open it after a few hours, then it basically has to wake up from what is called "hibernation" in Windows and it might take a couple seconds.

Otherwise it should be pretty quick. I have heard of it being slow for some people. I think it might depend on which programs you're running. Maybe some programs hold up the process of sleeping/waking. You should try quitting all your programs and seeing if sleep/wake is fast, and then run them again one-at-a-time to see which one is holding up the process.

4. Mcdevidr thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies. I did notice today from leaving it over night and starting it started instantly. It must just be that i tried to wake it while it was just going into sleep mode a few times.

I love this little machine, it surely is helping me get my school work done now that I can take my computer away from my crazy cat at home.

5. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Awesome deal! Did you stack a student discount or anything or did they just have it marked cheap?

As others have stated, if you shut the lid, then open it back up pretty quickly, it will stay black for a few seconds.

6. voyager1 macrumors newbie

Screen quality

ive recently bought an i mac 512gbssd on education store and need a machine for the road. ive ruled out mb 15 due to weight so its a toss up between air and 13 retina. in the store the retina screen looked nice but the light weight and battery life of the air considering daily travelling is extremely tempting too even more than the retina. basically do you all think the air screen is a deal breaker?looking at i5/8gb/512gb ssd. finally is the i5 combo with 512 ssd ok ie would this processor handle a ssd of this size. thanks.

7. motrek macrumors 68020

I have a MBA and I like the screen. I'm sure I'd like a retina screen more but it's not like I want to dig my eyeballs out with a spoon every time I look at my laptop.

8. Mcdevidr thread starter macrumors 6502a

I wish I could have stacked the student deal on it. I tried. The guy was giving me crap about it. And I just said well scan it and see if it will work if not no big deal. He eventually scanned it but it didn't take anything off. I don't know how people have gotten it to work. I used the mover coupon and the open box was discounted down to 845. If I could have gotten the student deal to work I wohld have only paid 700.

The Mac air is an awesome machine. I sold all my other crap and consolidated to this. Was just tired of the mess. The non retina doesn't bother me because there is no air with retina. When it comes out I'll upgrade and give this to the wife. This thing doesn't weigh anything in my backpack. It's perfect for taking to the library.

9. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

I believe that Best Buy's systems no longer allow a student discount coupon to be used on an open box item. I tried it a couple of weeks ago and he said it wouldn't take anything off. As you experienced, the mover's does still work with open box items but at any rate, you got a great deal!