MacBook Air 2015 charging cable QC issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by nnyymm, Dec 14, 2018.

1. nnyymm macrumors regular

These are original apple lightning and MagSafe 2 cables. The Lightning cable is actually a year older than the MagSafe 2 cable. Both cables has never been brought out of home and are located in the same place, hanged, away from the floor, away from sunlight. I've read online this kind of discolouration can be dangerous, will apple support entertain me since my macbook is out of warranty?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

Many items made from plastic and rubber will change colour over time.

I have a few chargers where the colour of the cable shielding has changed over time but they continue to function properly. I've never seen an article where these colour changes are considered dangerous.

Is the Macbook charger from a third-party?

3. chabig macrumors 603

Functionally, there is nothing wrong with that cable that justify replacement. Apple will entertain you by offering to sell you a new charger.

4. nnyymm thread starter macrumors regular

Noted!

Why do you think it is from third party? It is the original charger that came with the macbook.

5. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

I asked about the possibility of being a third-party because I have seen some very good fake chargers that look and feel as good as an original Apple charger.

Only the cables from my Magsafe 1 chargers turned the same colour. The Magsafe 2 chargers that came with my 2015 Air and 2013 Pro are still white.

6. nnyymm thread starter macrumors regular

Oh man, I must be really unlucky, my friends MacBook Pro which is older than mine by a year despite the cable being dirty/grayish stains what not. Is no where near like mine.