Macbook Air 2015 vs Macbook Pro 2013?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bboysmax, Mar 5, 2018.

?

Which would you choose?

1. 2013 Macbook Pro

2. 2015 Macbook Air

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. bboysmax, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018

bboysmax macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

So yesterday I purchased an early 2015 13" Macbook Air with i7-5650U, Intel HD 6000 GPU, 8GB RAM & 256GB SSD.

It seems like a great little machine but a part of me is thinking I should of gone for the Macbook Pro that i seen in the same shop for £90 more. It was a 2013 15" Macbook Pro Retina with i7-4750HQ, Iris Pro 5200 GPU, 8GB RAM & 256GB SSD.

From what I can see that would benefit me with the Pro is the much nicer display, the better processor(?) and better resale value(?). The Air is lighter, cheaper, newer and offers better battery life.

I want the Mac to take to work with me and take on holiday when travelling with my camera gear. Obviously the Macbook Air is around 500g lighter and it generally smaller. Will I notice that in my bag?

2. sergeyz macrumors member

sergeyz

Of course you will notice this. And the MB Air is 700g lighter - this is important when traveling

3. bboysmax thread starter macrumors newbie

When I say travelling, I more mean when I go on holiday for a week in the sun. I don't mean kinda backpacking around, the weight side would only effect me for travelling there and then coming back.

4. sergeyz macrumors member

sergeyz

Well, if the battery life is also not very important (the difference is approximately 2.5 hours), then MBP is better than MBA, I guess

5. jeevanjee macrumors newbie

jeevanjee

As sergeyz said....if the battery life is not that important because you will not use it that much just on battery than the Macbook Pro is surely better and faster. In case of doubt you can always compare the processor (any of them on the market) on for example cpubenchmark.net . The i7-4750HQ has an average score of 8288 and the i7-5650U has nearly the half of it: 4224. It is still a fast processor but the other is way better.