Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sabankuru

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
Hi there, i've ordered an used Macbook Air 2017 with an Apple SSD 256 GB Flash disk. The disk seems to be not the original one because when i trying to install High Sierra, it goes to a start bootloop (Fan will start for 2-3s and shut down again and so on until battery is unplugged). I'm guessing that High Sierra was never installed on this machine before and normaly High Sierra should do an EFI Firmware update to recognize AFPS (Also if the disk is not formatted as AFPS). But i read for this it needs the original disk or it will fail. Is there another option to do the firmware update without the original disk? Thx!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi there, i've ordered an used Macbook Air 2017 with an Apple SSD 256 GB Flash disk. The disk seems to be not the original one because when i trying to install High Sierra, it goes to a start bootloop (Fan will start for 2-3s and shut down again and so on until battery is unplugged). I'm guessing that High Sierra was never installed on this machine before and normaly High Sierra should do an EFI Firmware update to recognize AFPS (Also if the disk is not formatted as AFPS). But i read for this it needs the original disk or it will fail. Is there another option to do the firmware update without the original disk? Thx!
I wouldn't assume that the disk has been replaced. I've used 3rd party SSDs in MacBook Airs and successfully updated firmware. Does internet recovery work? (Command-option-R at startup.)

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Which
I wouldn't assume that the disk has been replaced. I've used 3rd party SSDs in MacBook Airs and successfully updated firmware. Does internet recovery work? (Command-option-R at startup.)
Which third-party drives were able to update the firmware? Which model Air?

I'm very curious because many people in this thread were not able to update their retina MacBook Pro with a third-party drive: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ssd-to-m-2-nvme.2034976/page-79#post-26417920

I myself use an Intel 600p nvme drive in an early 2015 13" Air and the Mojave bootrom update would only work when I installed Mojave Beta with the original SSD inside.

Thanks.

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
This method will create a High Sierra installer but, when installing it to a Macbook that is not running the latest bootrom and has a third-party nvme drive, will not update the bootrom.
Hmm. I wonder if Mojave will fix that.

sabankuru

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
sorry for the late reply. I have a genius bar appointment today for this problem. The ssd seems to be the original one so the problem is somthing else? I've tried with Sierra, High Sierra and also Mojave Beta USB Installers with no success. Always in bootlop till battery is disconnected. Sierra will finish the install but Mojave and High Sierra stopt with an error.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.