Macbook Air 2017 with Kaby Lake Processor, is it true ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by alvinrizki, Aug 30, 2017.

1. alvinrizki macrumors newbie

alvinrizki

Hi!
    I am interested in buying Macbook Air.
    I read some reviews and articles, all of them said if MBA 2017 is released using intel i5 Broadwell processor.
    but, there are some seller in my country, Indonesia, said if they sell MBA 2017 with Kaby Lake Processor.

I just want to get information, does apple release MBA 2017 with Kaby Lake ? Is it true or just fake offer ?

https://www.bukalapak.com/p/kompute...-mqd42-core-i5-8gb-256gb-ssd-kaby-lake-silver

Thanks.

2. HippyRabbitFish macrumors member

HippyRabbitFish

Fake, unfortunately. Many here, myself included, would be interested in a MacBook Air with Kaby Lake processors!

Here is the news release that refers to MacBook Air, but it makes no mention of Kaby Lake in the MacBook Air, but only "Apple today also updated the 13-inch MacBook Air with a 1.8 GHz processor.":

Here on MacRumors, we have "Finally, the MacBook Air, one of Apple's most popular notebooks, received a new 1.8GHz processor to bring it up to speed with equivalent ultra-slim laptops.":
    https://www.macrumors.com/2017/06/05/apple-macbook-lineup-cpus-ssds-graphics/

It should be noted that while "new" is thrown out there for the 1.8GHz processor for the MacBook Air, the architecture is not new at all, and remains Broadwell, as seen in the MacRumors Buyer's Guide for MacBook Air:

"The MacBook Air is currently available only in a 13-inch size that has seen only minor updates since the last major revision in March 2015. The ultra-portable notebook computer offers Intel Broadwell processors and Thunderbolt 2 connectivity. On June 5, 2017, the base 13-inch model was updated with a faster 1.8 GHz processor."​

3. Boyd01 macrumors 601

Boyd01

4. stevehartt macrumors newbie

stevehartt

Hi, alvinrizki. I also live in Indonesia! :O

All things aside, the most recent MacBook Air (2017) comes with the 1.8 GHz i5-5350U (Broadwell) but you can configure it with an i7, although as far as I know, it's pointless and only produces more heat.

I own the Early 2015 Model (the model before the 2017 version) which comes with a teeeny bit slower 1.6 GHz i5-5250U (Broadwell) and it runs like a beast, or as Steve Jobs would say, a screamer. It's a very snappy machine but sadly the display is rather dated for a $1000 notebook. It doesn't bother me that much but if you're going to be using it for serious graphics work (e.g video & photo editing) then you should consider the MacBook Pro.

5. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

The current Kaby Lake MacBook Core m3 runs about as fast as the Broadwell i5-5250U, but with all the Kaby Lake media features.

It seems the MacBook Air may be discontinued relatively soon, with the MacBook to take its place.

6. Notario macrumors newbie

Discontinuing the MacBook Air would be an Apple mistake.

The MacBook Air keyboard is superior to the bone-breaking new keyboard on the MacBook.

7. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

"bone breaking" is a great analogy!

8. Macintoshrumors macrumors 6502

Macintoshrumors

That is highly subjective. The new macbooks/pros are superior in evey way. Mba is a dying breed

9. The Tiny Desktop Suspended

The Tiny Desktop

Dell, at this time, has an amazing quad core i7-8550u Inspiron laptop that blows the MacBook out of the water for less money than an Air. Apple has to wake up.

HP and Dell are offering laptops with twice the CPU cores, at higher turbo clock, twice the RAM, faster RAM, equal or more SSD storage (NVMe), and higher resolution screens, for far less money than Apple.

8th gen Intel CPUs are a game changer; and Apple should stop selling antiquated equipment.