Macbook Air 2017 would not charge. Is it the battery or logic board issue?

macuser1508

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2019
When I connect the charger, I see a blank screen with the icon of battery showing that charger is connected. But battery is not being charged.
However, Macbook runs fine on direct power supply after I disconnect the battery.
What could be the issue here? Is it the deep discharge? Is the battery ruined? or is it a logic board issue?
And how this issue could be resolved? [I have already tried SMC reset]

flaubert

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2015
Portland, Oregon
From your post, it isn't clear whether your laptop actually boots and runs when the battery is connected and the charger is plugged in; are you saying that all that you get when the battery is installed and the charger connected is a blank screen with an icon of the battery with a charging symbol? Like a super-large icon in the middle of the screen? Because I have never seen or known of that showing up!

The rest of this post assumes that you can use your laptop while plugged in and the battery present:

With the battery connected, it would be interesting to know that System Report shows under the Power section. You might also want to download the Coconut Battery app, and see what it says about current charge capability versus as-new charge capability.

Macdctr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
When I connect the charger, I see a blank screen with the icon of battery showing that charger is connected. But battery is not being charged.
a picture showing this would be helpful...

However, Macbook runs fine on direct power supply after I disconnect the battery.

What could be the issue here? Is it the deep discharge? Is the battery ruined? or is it a logic board issue?
And how this issue could be resolved? [I have already tried SMC reset]
If you're disconnecting the battery from your logic board and just plugging the AC adapter into your computer and it is running fine without any other issues (if I'm reading your post right) then I would say you need to replace your battery.

If you plug your battery back into your Air and your computer won't power back up with the battery connected and you can't recharge the battery then to me it seems your battery is the issue. Just get a replacement battery from ifixit.com and swap it out.

Just follow the replacement guide in ifixit to replace your battery. You will find it is very easy to do :apple: