MacBook Air 2018 for developing

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Johnluke91, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Johnluke91 macrumors member

Hi, long time I want to buy my first Mac, especially since I'm approaching programming with Xcode.
    I have been waiting especially for the update of the MacBook Pro 2018 especially for the third generation keyboard, but since the 13 inches has not been updated and not being willing to spend so much money on the Touchbar model, I'm considering the idea of buying the MacBook Air 2018.
    I tried it at the Apple Store and it seemed fast in any operation, however I wonder if it can be suitable for programming with Xcode app.
    Also the keyboard for those who already owns it, is reliable?
    Thank you

2. Falcon80 macrumors 6502

You can definitely can use Xcode on MacBook Air, just need to endure a slightly longer build time.

3. Loge macrumors 68030

Loge

I've spent a lot of time in Xcode on the 2017 12 inch Macbook without problems, I'm sure you'll be fine with the Air.

4. Ma2k5 macrumors 68020

Ma2k5

How did you find the emulators?

I think longer compile build times are expected, other than that did you notice sluggishness/lag/beach balls?

Lastly, how has the performance been with external displays (considering the weak iGPU)?

5. Loge macrumors 68030

Loge

Emulators can be a little slow to launch first time, but are usually fine when open so try to avoid closing them. But then they're not exactly fast to launch on the MBP either. Using the IDE is not sluggish at all; if the editor was laggy I would get irritated pretty quick. Since most builds tend to be incremental I didn't really care about those taking a bit longer.

I don't use an external display.

6. Falcon80 macrumors 6502

I believe the simulator of Xcode is much faster than the emulator of Android Studio. That can be painfully slow even with a Macbook Pro.

7. kreasonos macrumors 6502

I do development work on my Pentium g4600 powered PC w/8gb of ram and an nvme ssd and it benchmarks almost exactly the same as the new MBA. It's funny how people call the MBA slow but then go online and write reviews for the G4600 processor and call it fast and a "work horse."