MacBook Air 2018 for web development

hameleonick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2019
Poland
Hi everyone, surprisingly have a question about air 2018. I already have new macbook air ( have not yet unpacked ). After reading/watching a lot of reviews I'm not sure that it could be enough for web development. Maybe some of you have any experience with it? Normal use case chrome 10+ tabs, IDE (webstorm, visual studio code etc.), some builds processes webpack, etc.
As I mentioned before ( have not yet unpacked ), maybe better to sell it and buy macbook pro 2017? I really worried about keyboard issue in pro version.

Thank you)

niji

Contributor
Feb 9, 2003
tokyo
its always been true about the Air, since its first model many years ago, and remains true with the new 2018 model:
- always max out on RAM
- always get the fastest processor
as long as the model you have has done this, then the new 2018 Air is a great machine that will be able to handle yr work in web development.
and the keyboard is amazing. really improved.

Reactions: AmazingTechGeek

hameleonick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2019
Poland
its always been true about the Air, since its first model many years ago, and remains true with the new 2018 model:
- always max out on RAM
as long as the model you have has done this, then the new 2018 Air is a great machine that will be able to handle yr work in web development.
Thx for feedback, I have Air 8/256 .

robvas

macrumors 68030
Mar 29, 2009
USA
- always max out on RAM
Only one CPU option in the new air

hameleonick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2019
Poland
Hello. Have you tested the MacBook? Is it enough for your needs?
Hi, No)
it is still in box) currently I use my hp4530s with hackintosh onboard. I did some tests in some kind of apple store. Pro and Air (side by side). I would not say that I saw huge difference in screen (by the way). From performance perspective, I did some html5 + webgl test (https://www.goodboydigital.com/pixijs/bunnymark/). And I had some FPS drop to ~45 on Air when 110000 bunnies for Pro on 170000. But when I had 170000 bunnies on Air , difference in FPS was ~10 between Air and Pro. Will try to have also test with webpack )

Ma2k5

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2012
London
Can it handle it? Probably, but I wouldn't advise it. A lot of web technologies have gone quite complex and managing them with applications can get resource intensive in my opinion. We develop a lot of SPA web apps and they already sometimes struggle on quad core CPU's.

hameleonick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2019
Poland
Can it handle it? Probably, but I wouldn't advise it. A lot of web technologies have gone quite complex and managing them with applications can get resource intensive in my opinion. We develop a lot of SPA web apps and they already sometimes struggle on quad core CPU's.
You know... In general, it’s possible to work on my 4530s ( I have El Captain on it) with old intel i5 and 8gb/256 ssd. (System works more than fine). I use it only for additional development ( also web browsing of course). And for small projects it’s ok. For big with 2 webpack processes I can see how it is difficult but possible to work.

If I compare hp4530s and Air 2018... according to tests Air 2 times faster. But still, have no idea with real work

And I agree with you, that nowadays you need more resources for development

Last edited: