Macbook Air 2018 heavy as 13" Pro

abercrombie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
Parent's Basement
Just got my Macbook Air 2018 (1.35kg), my immediate impression after unboxing was that it seemed somewhat heavy. I really should have checked the specs first, but this is significantly heavier than a Macbook 12 (0.92 kg) and not significantly different from that of a Macbook Pro 13 (1.37kg).

The big advantage is the gold color and the fingerprint reader. Is this enough for me to keep it? Not sure, but I do have a 2 month Holiday return window.

EugW

macrumors 604
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, the MacBook Air is 35% heavier than the MacBook.

However, the MacBook Pro is only 9% heavier than the MacBook Air, and their footprints are exactly the same. Ironically, at its thickest, the MacBook Air is actually slightly thicker than the MacBook Air.

The MacBook Pro has much higher performance than the MacBook Air, and has a significantly better screen too. Both have fans, but the MacBook Air might last longer on battery.

I have a fanless 2017 12" MacBook, and highly value its complete lack of fan noise and its much better portability. The 13" size is awkward in economy class on the plane for example, while the 12" MacBook fits much better. However, if I wanted a bigger screen and/or more performance, the easy choice for me would be the non-TouchBar MacBook Pro. I couldn't care less about TouchID on a laptop.

Are you sure the return window is 2 months at this time?

newellj

macrumors 604
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Apple holiday return period is valid on purchases starting Nov 14, 2018. They can be returned until Jan 8, 2019 so almost 2 full months...
This can be doubly verified (is that a concept?) if you bought online by initiating a return and noting the return date. But that's over kill; if the receipt says 11/14/18 or later, it's subject to the extended return window.

Lioness~

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2017
Yes, that's what I noticed too.

It's heavier than I had expected. But no, I won't return my golden new friend.
I don't care for the MBP, I want this, even if the difference is not that much, it is to me.
I want this gold color, it's beautiful.
I for sure care about the TouchID. I already love its simpleness, and miss it when I sit on my iMac, already.
For writing the MacBook Air is much better with its inclined keyboard.

I've had both types of Mac's earlier, and I never really cared about the MBP, while I so totally loved the MBA 11".
Think I'll love this MBA 13" just as much or even more. Despite it's a little heavier, it have a lot of attributes that I love.

Finally, it's a lot about taste to get the MBA over the MBP. Aesthetics contra more tech specs, I guess.

Reactions: Big Apple

thunng8

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2006
Just got my Macbook Air 2018 (1.35kg), my immediate impression after unboxing was that it seemed somewhat heavy. I really should have checked the specs first, but this is significantly heavier than a Macbook 12 (0.92 kg) and not significantly different from that of a Macbook Pro 13 (1.37kg).

The big advantage is the gold color and the fingerprint reader. Is this enough for me to keep it? Not sure, but I do have a 2 month Holiday return window.
MacBook Air is 1.25kg, not 1.35. So it is noticeably lighter than the pro.

newellj

macrumors 604
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
MacBook Air is 1.25kg, not 1.35. So it is noticeably lighter than the pro.
Or, in ounces/pounds, the rMBA is .25 pounds lighter than a current rMBP but .75 heavier than a rMB. The rMBA is, however, .75 pounds lighter than my 2015 rMBP, IIRC.

I'm looking for a single laptop replacement for my 2015 rMBP and 2017 rMB and the rMBA fits right in the middle. The question is whether I'm going to be comfortable with the trade-offs.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I recommend heading to the gym to build some muscle mass. The weights we are discussing here are miniscule.