Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtubul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2014
i have a new MacBook air 2018 with 8GB ram, A weird thing is going on, when i turn on the mac the memory usage is around 3.5 GB Ram without anything open in the background - nothing!!! After an hour or so the memory climbs up to around 6.5 GB - can someone please explain what is going on?

Biscotti

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
i have a new MacBook air 2018 with 8GB ram, A weird thing is going on, when i turn on the mac the memory usage is around 3.5 GB Ram without anything open in the background - nothing!!! After an hour or so the memory climbs up to around 6.5 GB - can someone please explain what is going on?

MacOS will use as much RAM memory as possible. If you hypothetically had 32GB of RAM, it could use 8 gb for the OS instead of 3.5 gb. MacOS uses as much RAM as possible to make your experience smoother and more enjoyable. It’s a feature, don’t worry.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
macOS is based on BSD (Darwin), and in the *nix world "unused RAM is wasted RAM", as Biscotti has mentioned. The system will take care of memory usage.. nothing to worry about.

Reactions: mtubul

mtubul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2014
Oh ok guys, that solves a lot of things now, thank you for answering!

auxbuss

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2014
UK
Sounds strange to me. I've been using mine all day – 10 hours or so – and Memory Used is 3.8GB atm (1.8 App + 2.0 Cached).

Easiest way to check usage is via Activity Monitor/Memory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.