Macbook Air 2018 USB C AV Adapter Bought from Amazon Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by aj123456, Nov 12, 2018.

1. aj123456 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I've recently become an owner of a Macbook Air (2018 release). In preparation I had bought a a Travel Inspira 3 in one USB C AV adapter which has a ports for USB C charging, HDMI and USB for connecting Cell Phones and devices to sync.

So far I've tried the USB port to charge a cellphone brick while connected to the Air and it worked perfectly.

I have not tried the HDMI port yet.

However, when trying to connect my Apple charger into the adapter for charging my Macbook Air it would not charge it.

I've tried restarting the computer and tried both USB C ports with the adapter and I still am not getting a charge signal when plugging the power cord in through the adapter to the computer.

Any thoughts or assistance would be great. I'm debating if I should just pony up the money for the Apple adapter but the reviews online for that one seem shaky too.

Here's the link of the adapter I bought: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GKSPMCQ/ref=pe_1098610_137716200_cm_rv_eml_rv0_dp

2. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

Third party adapters are hit and miss and furthermore, new model Macs often pose additional problems for the hub manufacturers.

For example, a lot of fully functional third party USB-C hubs that worked fine with the 2015 and 2016 Macs wouldn’t work properly on the 2017 models for HDMI. Many had to be updated to work with 2017 Macs. Not sure about 2018 Macs.

3. aj123456 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you suggest I buy the Apple adapter?

4. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

I have never tried it. The reviews don’t look great though.

5. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

6. aj123456 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have a 4k TV i usally just get 780 or 1080

7. - rob -, Nov 12, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2018

- rob - macrumors 6502

- rob -

I just had this cable matters part arrive today and hooked it up to my new MBA.

I'm running the displayport out directly to a Dell p2715q 27" running 4k.

It works so far in that it gives two USB 2.0 A ports and offers up the other USB C port on the machine. I am tempted to try hooking up the other usbC to the cinema display to see if I can run two monitors off it.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 12, 2018 ---
    I'm not sure, but this accessory may have caused CPU usage from windowserver to spike. I switched back and am going to try to monitor it. But the hub I linked to above may have resulted in more intense resource use.
    I just found this thread which may explain what happened when I used the dongle I mentioned above.

I can't say for sure, but I don't think I was having any display-related CPU issues prior to trying to use a single USB-C for both power and display. I have had activity monitor opened most of the time and check it fairly regularly to check ram pressure etc. (side note: I'm at 13GB of ram use regularly, I really think it is a mistake to get this new MBA at 8gb!)

This suggests to me it may not be possible to run two external monitors off the new MBA if they can't both benefit from HW acceleration. Experimenting with this dongle caused one of the few "fan events" i've had on this new computer.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8417207?answerId=8417207021#8417207021

I just did a restart and windowserver dropped down to low levels. I am now pretty confident that plugging in that dongle triggered the external display to go into non-hw accelerated display mode.

It is worth mentioning that just switching back from the dongle to the displaymatters straight through usbc -> displayport I'm using did not fix the windowserver process issue. I had to restart.

It may be that if I do a restart with the dongle attached it will read the monitor correctly and not drive up CPU for the display but I haven't tried it yet.

Here's what I normally expect CPU-wise from windowserver on the new mba;
    [​IMG]

Here's what happened trying that power + video dongle:
    [​IMG]

note i had a lot of pycharm work going prior to the restart which is why the cpu was high on that.

8. - rob - macrumors 6502

- rob -

So I went ahead and plugged in the adapter again for power, and instead ran video straight into the MBA's other USBc. This kept the machine from running CPU up. It allows for 2 USB A and a USB C which is not terrible, but I have pretty low expectation about this machine running two monitors.

9. dmk1974 macrumors 68020

dmk1974