MacBook Air 2019, 8 or 16mb ram?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by msregister, Aug 12, 2019.

1. msregister macrumors member

Hi,

I bought a Macbook Air 2019 with 256gb SSD and base 8mb ram. Its my travel laptop. I use primarily Web, Office, Mail, trading apps. I can easily have 50+ Chrome tabs, 20+ Safari tabs, 20+ PDFs open. I work in several spaces.

I noticed that there is lag when switching spaces and a general slight lag when switching between apps. This after just 1 week of use. Would returning it and ordering a 16mg ram configuration be more efficient and faster for my use?

Thanks!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Try this to test. Reboot then use it for a day like you normally do. Then start Activity Monitor and look in the Memory tab at memory pressure at the bottom. If that is green, more memory is not likely to help you. If it is yellow or red, you will likely benefit from more memory.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201464

3. Willo34 macrumors regular

Willo34

If you have that many tabs open more RAM is recommended....those tabs take up a lot of working memory.

4. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Get as much RAM as you can afford, even if you don't immediately need it; it will serve to future proof the machine (or device) to some extent.

But, yes, having several windows open at the same time (I do the same thing sometimes) is pretty greedy on RAM.