Macbook Air 2020 - What a pile of junk!

smashingtuck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2015
I can't believe that a brand new out of the box computer would be plagued with problems that if I had known about I would never have touched it. I bought this brand new from Curry's a week ago. Used it all of a few times light usage. Already the screen is a giant smeary mess and impossible to clean! I spent 20 minutes trying to clean this thing with lens cleaner and it's still smeared. This thing smears with just heat of your fingers. You can't even open the screen without heat coming off your fingers and turning the edge of the screen onto a mess.

Secondly, none of the sound or brightness functions work! How is that even possible. Out of the box and the volume buttons do nothing. The brightness button does the same thing. Nothing. That's insane! If I sold a brand new product out of the box that was defective, I'd be in jail. But Apple somehow get to palm it off on the marketplace.

Thirdly, this thing turns itself on while I'm cleaning it. Didn't even touch the keyboard and it comes on. Then here's the final irony. The ID touch doesn't work when you boot it up. Apparently it only works when the screensaver has come on and you need ID touch. Very useful. Unlike most other Apple users I don't work for the CIA so I don't have an urge to password protect my computer every five minutes of non use.

This is just from a few days of light use. Can't wait to see what problems it's plagued with next.

Funny how you never see any of this mentioned on any of the reviews on Youtube.

JBGoode

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2018
I can't believe that a brand new out of the box computer would be plagued with problems that if I had known about I would never have touched it. I bought this brand new from Curry's a week ago. Used it all of a few times light usage. Already the screen is a giant smeary mess and impossible to clean! I spent 20 minutes trying to clean this thing with lens cleaner and it's still smeared. This thing smears with just heat of your fingers. You can't even open the screen without heat coming off your fingers and turning the edge of the screen onto a mess.

Secondly, none of the sound or brightness functions work! How is that even possible. Out of the box and the volume buttons do nothing. The brightness button does the same thing. Nothing. That's insane! If I sold a brand new product out of the box that was defective, I'd be in jail. But Apple somehow get to palm it off on the marketplace.

Thirdly, this thing turns itself on while I'm cleaning it. Didn't even touch the keyboard and it comes on. Then here's the final irony. The ID touch doesn't work when you boot it up. Apparently it only works when the screensaver has come on and you need ID touch. Very useful. Unlike most other Apple users I don't work for the CIA so I don't have an urge to password protect my computer every five minutes of non use.

This is just from a few days of light use. Can't wait to see what problems it's plagued with next.

No it isn't. Have you seen these things mentioned here? You obviously received a defective product. Why would you think they're all like that?

mick2

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2017
UK
Now that you have the rant out of the way, put it back in the box, take it back to Curry's and get a replacement to your defective product or your money back.
It's very likely not even defective:

1. User can't clean screen: not a lot anyone on here can do about this one. OP will have to muddle through & find a way 😀
2. System Prefs | Keyboard | Use F1, F2 Keys As Standard Function Keys: uncheck this option
3(a). By design current Macbooks auto switch on when opening the lid. 'sudo nvram AutoBoot=%00' in terminal disables this
3(b). By design password is required - rather than TouchID - on 1st boot

sounds like op needs a nap...😂

Last edited:

silvia_18

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2020
No it isn't. Have you seen these things mentioned here? You obviously received a defective product. Why would you think they're all like that?
Because everyone in this forum all had function keys that didn't work and kept it anyway?

JBGoode

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2018
Because everyone in this forum all had function keys that didn't work and kept it anyway?
Everyone? LMAO. I haven't seen this mentioned even once but ok. (and as it seems, it's just you that don't know how to operate it)

Last edited:

macintoshmac

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010

Hey Tuck,

Your experience is not consistent with the norm. It has something to do with your expectations, and something with the device itself.

Screen

The screen has an oleophobic coating and antireflective coating to it. What you are saying suggests either the coatings are already destroyed by your use of your particular lens cleaner, or the product could have been defective out of the box as well. We can't say without any pictures to see what is going on.

Touch ID and Automatic Power On

That Touch ID button is a fingerprint scanner that doubles up to start the computer (in some cases) and to probably put the computer to sleep if you want to use the Touch ID button to put the computer to sleep. So, it will work only when it is needed, and that is expected design.

This is even more so since now you do not need a power button in the classic sense. You open the lid of your MacBook, it starts booting, no button-press required (and hence Touch ID will not work).

Regardless, kindly take your computer to an Apple Store and politely convey your issues with the computer to the Geniuses. They will help you out the best way they can.

Reactions: sracer

macintoshmac

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Not when he purchased it elsewhere.
Oh, I see! I thought you could anyway take it and get an opinion, if not free service, despite being in-warranty? I'm thinking, say, purchased from Amazon or other places, they can't just take it to an Apple Store?

ignatius345

macrumors 68030
Aug 20, 2015
Not when he purchased it elsewhere.
To be clear, if the OP wants it serviced, it's still under AppleCare. Doesn't matter where you bought it. You can still walk into an Apple Store (if there's one open where you are) and request service.

Reactions: macintoshmac

lambertjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2012
It's very likely not even defective:

1. User can't clean screen: not a lot anyone on here can do about this one. OP will have to muddle through & find a way 😀
2. System Prefs | Keyboard | Use F1, F2 Keys As Standard Function Keys: uncheck this option
3(a). By design current Macbooks auto switch on when opening the lid. 'sudo nvram AutoBoot=%00' in terminal disables this
3(b). By design password is required - rather than TouchID - on 1st boot

sounds like op needs a nap...😂
Or a bottle of 100 proof hooch!

Reactions: mick2

mca19

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2020
I second this. What a piece of *****. I am stepping on the adapter, which in turn, disconnects from the power block. I can't even connect the adapter as I used to to the machine (MagSafe) AND, on top of all of this, I'm having sound issues from the speakers.
I long for the day that there will be something better than this name stamped (former best) device. Until then, **** CURRENT APPLE TEAM AND DESIGNERS. I truly needed a new device, but I had not imagined that it would ever come with such headaches and inconveniences. The quality that I had been accustomed to no longer exists.

Wesseldeg

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2020
I second this. What a piece of *****. I am stepping on the adapter, which in turn, disconnects from the power block. I can't even connect the adapter as I used to to the machine (MagSafe) AND, on top of all of this, I'm having sound issues from the speakers.
I long for the day that there will be something better than this name stamped (former best) device. Until then, **** CURRENT APPLE TEAM AND DESIGNERS. I truly needed a new device, but I had not imagined that it would ever come with such headaches and inconveniences. The quality that I had been accustomed to no longer exists.
hi, sorry to hear that you are having problems. if you are having sound issues from te speakers i would advise to bring it to the place you bought it from or straight to Apple. regarding your problem with the charging cable, Apple ditched the MagSafe connector in 2018 so you knew this before buying. and regarding stepping on the adapter just be a little bit more carefull. but if you can't live without magsafe just buy the 2017 macbook air or an older macbook pro wich you can grab up for cheap on sites like Ebay

LeeW

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
f you can't live without magsafe just buy the 2017 macbook air or an older macbook pro wich you can grab up for cheap on sites like Ebay
lol, a bit extreme for MagSafe functionality. There are a ton of USBC magnetic 'magsafe' adaptors out there that you can use with any modern MBA/MBP if you really want it, $20 or less.

Reactions: Sword86

Wesseldeg

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2020
lol, a bit extreme for MagSafe functionality. There are a ton of USBC magnetic 'magsafe' adaptors out there that you can use with any modern MBA/MBP if you really want it, $20 or less.
you're right it is indeed a little bit extreme, forgot about the magsafe adaptors. the problem with those is the added bulk, so it is still a bit of a trade off

Reactions: LeeW

mca19

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2020
hi, sorry to hear that you are having problems. if you are having sound issues from te speakers i would advise to bring it to the place you bought it from or straight to Apple. regarding your problem with the charging cable, Apple ditched the MagSafe connector in 2018 so you knew this before buying. and regarding stepping on the adapter just be a little bit more carefull. but if you can't live without magsafe just buy the 2017 macbook air or an older macbook pro wich you can grab up for cheap on sites like Ebay
I've tried third party adapters and they were no where near to MagSafe.
Plus, I don't want old technology without warranty.
I'll have to have this handled (serviced) at the Apple store. In my area, Apple store had been looted and vandalized. I'm not up to the most recent news on it, but I'm assuming it's bad.

What I'm most frustrated about is the previous Apple products that I've owned right out of the box, and it was years before someone else, other than me handled the product for service.
Right out of the box, this "nEw MaCbOoK 16" is already faulty. During this challenging time, I don't want any germ or virus particles on my property.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.