MacBook Air 4,1 Additional Storage Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by theturbogeek, Oct 13, 2013.

1. theturbogeek macrumors newbie

Situation:

I have a MacBook Air 11", Mid 2011, with 2GB RAM and a 64GB SSD. Surprisingly, even with the 2GB, it meets my basic needs (I have a Desktop for heavy use). I basically use it for web browsing and downloading media.

My issue: I'd like for this computer to last a few more years until I decide to update to a better Air, and I'd like to add additional storage to it without buying a new SSD. I've been looking at Micro USB drives (64GB capacities) like the DT Micro (http://www.kingston.com/us/usb/personal_business#dtmc), or micro SD card adapters for the USB port. I'll mainly store movies/music and play them from the drive.

My question is this: Which solution provides the best data speeds? I've looked at data rates for the DT Micro and some people are underwhelmed by them, where others have said it's fine for their needs. However, I haven't found a source that has compared the MicroSD 64GB speeds vs the DT speeds.

I would greatly appreciate advice from anyone who knows a bit about it, thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You'll be limited to USB 2.0 speeds anyway, so there won't be a huge difference since both solution should be able to saturate the link.

3. theturbogeek, Oct 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2013

theturbogeek thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I've read that the DT is extremely slow with it's read and write speeds. In some reviews as low as 4MB/s.

I'm leaning more now toward this SDXC USB Adapter and a Sandisk Ultra MicroSDXC 64GB card for iTunes, Movies (traveling), and photos. It looks like it has a smaller footprint than the DT and on average outperforms the flash drive.

Any thoughts?