Macbook Air 802.11ac 5GHz Performance

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Outerlight, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Outerlight, Jun 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2013

Outerlight macrumors newbie

EDIT: As this turned out to be an issue with OS X and not the MBA's hardware, I reposted here. Mods, please feel free to delete this thread.

Hi everyone,

I discovered this forum when I was originally considering buying a 2013 MBA, and ended up picking it up - 13/i5/8/256. I also picked up an Airport Extreme.

Let me begin by saying that this is not a troll thread like the other one. I would truly like to resolve this issue, and continue using the MBA and OS X.

I am seeing speeds of 10-12MB/s when transferring files from my Windows Server 2008 R2 server.

Originally, I thought my issue was the router, then I broke out my old laptop (5 year old Lenovo T400 w/Intel 5100 AGN card). Sitting right next to my MBA, it transfers at 18-20MB/s.

Then I rebooted the MBA in Windows 8 to test. I see 40-50MB/s.

Is this an issue with OS X and SMB, a driver issue, or is there some sort of power save/performance setting that’s on by default for wireless in OS X?

For the latter, I am imagining something like in Windows Power Options, Plan, Advanced, Wireless Adapter Settings.

Thanks in advance.

2. sk3tch macrumors regular

I frequently see 35MB/sec+ (minimum - because I don't want to be that guy that over reports) in Mac OS X with my Netgear R6300 AC router (http://www.netgear.com/R6300).

My network is a mix of Windows, Mac OS X, iOS, and Linux.

What are you using to see the throughput? I'm using the latest version of iStat Menus.

3. Outerlight, Jun 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2013

Outerlight thread starter macrumors newbie

I am using Resource Monitor on the Windows Server 2008 R2 system, and on the Windows clients, the number given by the file copy progress window to verify it.

I downloaded iStat and it reports a very steady 13.0-13.5MB/s.

The router is in the same room as the laptops.

Edit:

Plugged in the Thunderbolt Gigabit Adapter, and it's only giving me 45-55MB/s. My old Lenovo can max gigabit (97-99% utilization, 120-125MB/s). Rebooted into Windows 8 on the MBA and it was able to max gigabit.

I've eliminated the hardware from the equation. What's going on with OS X?