Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marydubois

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2018
Hello i am Mary Dubois,

I am new at this forum so i don't know how it works on here but i have an urgent question.

So i follow an Art & Design study and i need a new laptop.
The features of the laptop are:
i7 processor
2gb videocard

And i have to use almost every Adobe program such as:
InDesign, Illustrator and Premiere

I am planning on buying a MacBook Air 2017 version with a i7 processor. Because the Macbook Pro has an i5 processor.

I feel that the MacBook Air is better and can survive up till 7 years or so.
And i am on a €1000 budget
So my question is:
Can i buy the MacBook Air 2017 version with an i7 processor to use all the Adobe programs?

Thank You

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
The MacBook Pro i5 is far better than the Air 2017 i7 because the Air uses a very old processor. The i3/i5/i7 are marketing terms and don't really tell you the whole story. Number of cores, TDP, architecture and clock speeds are important here.

You will be buying a very dated machine with a very poor screen. At the time the Air was great but I wouldn't recommend buying this in 2018.

Last edited:

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Alright what are the risks of buying a second hand MacBook Pro?

That it's stolen, or will fail the day after you buy it. But you could consider buying with AppleCare for some peace of mind.
You could also look at a refurbished MacBook Pro too, that's a safer bet.

marydubois

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2018
I heard that when i get a Refurbished one with 2 years of waranty, it will stop working after the 2 years and then i am not able to get my waranty anymore

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I heard that when i get a Refurbished one with 2 years of waranty, it will stop working after the 2 years and then i am not able to get my waranty anymore

No offence, but do you really believe that? Does that pass the sniff test that Apple would sell refurbished laptops that will suddenly fail the moment the warranty runs out?

Of course not.

Whoever told you that - take that person out of your life completely. You don't need that sort of nonsense.

(Typed from my still working but out of warranty refurbished MacBook Pro)

marydubois

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2018
No offence, but do you really believe that? Does that pass the sniff test that Apple would sell refurbished laptops that will suddenly fail the moment the warranty runs out?

Of course not.

Whoever told you that - take that person out of your life completely. You don't need that sort of nonsense.

(Typed from my still working but out of warranty refurbished MacBook Pro)

Well i have to take them out of my life all 4 some of my teachers and one classmate

Thank you for the tip i am going to get a pro 2015 refurbished version.

Thanks all for the help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.