Macbook air a1339 lcd screen replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Loiterte, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Loiterte macrumors newbie

Loiterte

Hello, i live in Brazil, and i just broke the screen of my MAC, i really love it, it's a 13.3" 2011 edition, here in Brazil don't have the right lcd screen to change, i have a few knowledge in exchange for screens, I believe the need to change my. What i need help its referent the substitute screen, is if i can change for another model like A1237 and A1304 , thanks

2. SmOgER, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2015

SmOgER macrumors 6502a

"a1339" doesn't exist, yours is A1369 mid-2011.

Unfortunately, the screens from A1237 and A1304 aren't compatible. I know that they are cheap, but they are 1280x800, so even if we don't take into account different screen assemblies and probably different matrica connectors, you need a higher res 1440x900 screen.

I feel your pain as I was recently replacing mine as well. The price for screen assembly itself high as fu**. I ended up buying another whole Late-2010 A1369 laptop, taking screen assembly from it and selling everything else for parts - that way screen will cost you practically nothing if everything goes well and if we don't take into account time needed to sell all the other parts etc.

Another thing worth mentioning is that although A1369 Late-2010 screen is compatible with A1369 mid-2011, it doesn't have ambient light sensor. Meaning the screen auto-brightness won't work. For me personally that's not a big deal since I was keeping the auto turned off most of the time anyway. Paradoxically this even has some advantages too, like without ambient light sensor you can turn up the keyboard backlight anytime you wish. :)

Judging by the other ebay listings, compatible screens for you are A1369 and A1466 (taking into account that 2010 A1369 doesn't have ambient light sensor like I mentioned above)

3. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Did you break the screen or the glass cover? I cracked the glass on my 2010 MacBook Pro and the lcd was fine, but the glass was shattered. If that is the case with yours, it's actually relatively cheap and straightforward fix; if you are reasonably handy with tools and don't mind a non-Apple replacement screen. I bought a replacement glass (actually plexiglas) from a vendor on AliExpress. It's Plexiglass (plastic), not glass like Apple uses but for about $20 I have a perfectly good Macbook Pro again. If you order one, beside to get one that has the adhesive tape already installed since you will need it to attach the screen. There are plenty of videos that show how to do it using a heat
    gun. Be sure to get all the old glue off to get a nice tight seal on the new screen.

It took me about an hour to do the swap, being extra careful not to damage the lcd with the heat gun. It's not 100% Apple but works just fine.

Alternatively, there is a place in NYC that repairs screens and has good reviews and reasonable prices:

http://www.rossmanngroup.com

Not sure how easy it would be to mail it from Brazil. You might contact them and see if they'll sell you just the parts you need for a DIY.

4. SmOgER macrumors 6502a

This is not retina and there is no glass. It's a bare LCD.

5. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Yup. I missed the Air part. Rossman has a good video on a DIY repair, complete with some New York attitude:

6. SmOgER macrumors 6502a

That's an option, but the downside is of course that it's much harder than replacing the whole assembly.
    Those LCDs are expensive just as well and there are no compatible replacements other than OEM as far as I can tell.
    If that was 11-inch, then this would be much much cheaper. I'am not even sure why there is such a huge price difference.