Macbook Air (A1465) won't charge or turn on after battery drained down

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by howyes, Mar 23, 2016.

1. howyes macrumors newbie

Battery died on me so I left it alone and charged it over night to see the charger had no light. Figured it was the charger so I used my spare and a friend's with no response on my computer yet all three of the chargers worked on his Macbook.

Did my logic board fail on me or could it be the battery/port? How can I test (tried SMC reset) it when my computer won't start up at all? o_O

2. chscag macrumors 68000

Your battery may have gone flat and died. According to Mactracker your MBA is a mid 2012 11" MBA. Do you remember how many charge - recharge cycles that you have on the battery?

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Hmmm - All 11-inch MBAir from 2012 to the current 2015 are model A1465.

Charger with no light is not a good sign.
    Be sure to check closely on the power port, to see if there is any damage/discoloration/loose pieces, etc.

Try the SMC reset:
    Leave the magsafe connector attached.
    Hold Shift-Control-Option, and press the power button. The SMC resets as soon as you press that combination of keys.
    You SHOULD see the power adapter LED light orange, then change to green.

Do the reset again with the adapter disconnected. Release the keys after you press the reset combo.
    Don't be concerned if you don't see or hear anything happen - just press the buttons all at once, then release, and that's the reset.
    Wait ten seconds or so, then plug the power adapter in again.
    Let it sit undisturbed for several minutes, then try the power button.
    Does the adapter plug LED ever light at all?

4. howyes thread starter macrumors newbie

Port looks fine even cleaned it to make sure there wasn't any sort of debris.

I've tried SMC reset on every plug like you said with no response. Before this happened the battery died so the computer just won't turn on at all.

Could the Magsafe port be bad or could is the battery not being recognized so the charger(s) won't activate? Do airs turn on if the battery is removed?

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

No, I think you should get _something_ from the power adapter.
    You can take the bottom cover off, then disconnect the battery connector - takes less than five minutes.
    Try the power adapter with the battery disconnected. No need to physically remove the battery, just disconnect the battery.
    You should get a green light on the magsafe connector, indicating that power is supplied.
    If yo don't get any light at all, even with the battery disconnected, then that would eliminate the battery as the major problem.
    You said you already tried other power adapters, with no progress. You might try one of those known-good adapters again with the battery disconnected, just to double-check.
    And, no light will mean the power circuitry on the logic board has failed. You would need to replace (or possibly repair) the logic board. Could be a blown fuse, which is not replaceable without surface-mount soldering equipment and skills.

6. howyes thread starter macrumors newbie

Disconnected the battery and got no lights at all. I remember having missing lights before on this mac so I've got a replacement port on the way. If that doesn't work you think selling a broken Air on eBay will make me some sort of profit? :confused:

7. howyes thread starter macrumors newbie

UPDATE: it was the port I lucked out thanks for the help