MacBook Air & Adobe CS5.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by a4poster, May 26, 2011.

1. a4poster macrumors newbie

Hi, I am thinking of purchasing a MacBook Air 13.3 256GB for work whilst I am commuting but would like to know the following before doing so.

At work I primarily use Software from the Adobe suite. If I purchased a MacBook Air could I install the Creative Suite and if I could what does it run like? i.e, fast or slow.

Thanks.
    A4.

2. AgRacer macrumors member

I'm running CS4 on a 4-year old desk top with a 1.8 core2duo processor and 4G of memory, but with a 5400RPM HDD.

Everything runs very smooth with regards to photos, but some of the larger files (recently upgraded 6MP camera to 16MP) do take a little longer to load, but that is more likely the HDD speed which should not be an issue for you.

However, when running Premiere, HD movies are pretty slow to render. If I load one into the project work space, I cannot preview the video with out it stop/start/studder at times. I can play HD videos just fine on the PC, but trying to play with them in Premiere presents problems.

If you're just dealing with photos then you will be fine. With HD movies, it might be a bit of a challenge.

NOTE: SD movies are OK.

3. nonamenumber3 macrumors newbie

Hate to break it to you, but unless your running old versions of CS, it's going to run crappy. You're talking about school stuff, so I would assume you will have decently sized files, unlike the average person on here.

You can of course work with it, but ultimately you will need to upgrade the memory from 4GB to at least 8GB.

Hate to contradict the person before me. Just seems like he isn't really working on stuff like you're talking about. Really the MBA don't cut it. You'll be wanting to upgrade from MBP after awhile. Sure, for portability sake a MBA would be okay, but it's not going to cut it. Not when you're talking about running CS5 etc.

4. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

What kind of work are you doing?

If you're doing illustrations you won't last long with an Air.

If you're doing more web design kind of work where it can be simple with lots of layers you'll be fine. The 320M is good enough and the Flash memory makes PS run super snappy.

Since most of the files you'll work with are probably going to take up all of your space, I suggest looking into an external hard drive for your non-essentials with backups to a cloud and other external hard drives.

5. aramosc macrumors regular

aramosc

I have the 11" with 4 gb of RAM and it "runs" but I don't do anything demanding.. just basic work in illustrator CS5.. I don't even have the full suite installed ony PS and Ai