Macbook Air Advice Will it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bc0508, Feb 3, 2012.

1. bc0508 macrumors newbie

I am a windows guy I havent owned any apple hardware but itouch and ipad and just got a iphone for the wife.

I really like the 13 inch macbook air I was using it in the store when we got the itouch.

I am currently using a sony vaio laptop i7 8gb with 500gb harddrive extend battery.. Battery life stinks btw.

I use the laptop mostly for RDP to MS systems, Email chat and Word excel. Some photo shop editing. I am sure some apps I use are MS only.

I have been told parallels is the way to go for using MS only software.

Will 128gb get you very far or is the 256gb worth the extra 300 I assume I could a nice usb drive for my extra files I might want to take with me but then I have something else to carry.

I am looking for this to be my primary laptop since I will ebay the sony or pass down to one of the kids I am looking at replacing my MS stuff as they die with apple if this goes well.

I looked at the macpro in the store also. I liked the air for the weight battery life and the screen looked much better.

I will use this alot in low light in the bedroom when the wife watches tv.

2. mpaquette macrumors regular

128GB on a primary laptop is going to fill up pretty quickly. I'd definitely consider the 256GB model.

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Word, Excel, an Office Email Client and Photoshop are all available for the Mac.

4. olemrboston macrumors newbie

olemrboston

save yourself the money of a larger SSD and just purchase an external hard drive.

In the end you are going to have a lot more space and money in your pocket.

5. Xikum macrumors 6502

First off id consider how much money you will get for your Sony. I mean, the thing is an i7/8 GB laptop; is it really worth buying a whole new MacBook Air just because you like it?

If you do go for it, then personally I would get the 128 and use an external HDD for things like music/etc. Saves $300.

6. JMies419 macrumors 6502

+1 this is what I plan on doing. No reason to pay for the extra SSD when external hard drives are so cheap now and files can be easily transfered if need be.

7. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I have to agree, I have the 256GB air, I still have an external. Just because, why not. They are cheap, portable.