MacBook Air Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Maniamac, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Maniamac macrumors member

When configuring a MacBook Air, I noticed that to upgrade to the 1.8 GHz processor cost $270. I passed, thinking that the difference between 1.6 GHz and 1.8 GHz would be too marginal to warrant the cost.

Now comes all the second guessing, of course. My concern is that the 1.6 GHz option would perform more slowly than the processor in the MacBook I'm typing this on, which has a 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo. I mainly use notebooks for lightweight activities, if that matters.

Do you think the difference between the 1.6 and 1.8 GHz options is substantial enough for the money and for favorable comparison to my Rev. A MacBook?

Thanks for your help.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm guessing that neither will have much of a noticeable difference from your macbook, so I would probably go with the cheaper one.

3. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

Before you buy make sure you fully understand what you are getting for the money. The MacBook Air, as unfortunate as this is, is not as powerful as the MacBooks that are cheaper than it. You are paying for the size and portability.

The RAM and hard drive are not upgradeable so you will be stuck with the 64 or 80GB, and the battery will need to be replaced by Apple when it dies or if it fails.

Also take into account that there is only a mono speaker. If you listen to music, watch movies, etc this will really suck unless you plan on using headphones or external speakers. (Not like the current MacBook speakers already don't suck though, heh.)