MacBook Air Air Venting/Heat

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by pexxoum, Jul 12, 2012.

1. pexxoum macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a new 13" 2012 MacBook Air. I have been using it for Gaming quite a bit, and I notice that the fans really start to go, and it can get quite loud. I understand this is normal and expected with programs that require a lot of the computer's power. This being a fine Apple product, I understand that(correct me if I'm wrong) even if I were to run it at such power 10 hours a day, every day for a year, it would be just fine and continue to operate just fine for years to come. My problem and question comes from the surface I have been using it on. It has been operated on my bed, on top of a soft cloth that I now realize probably covers a bit of the air vent. It was used like this for about three weeks, with games being run for about three or four hours every three or so days. I do not think I've done enough to damage the Air, but please reassure me if you're knowledgeable about this subject. Since my realization, the Air now sits on top of a large, hardcover book whenever I am running anything that causes the fans to go full blast. I understand that the Air needs the surface under itself to be unblocked so that air may circulate freely, and not be forced back into the machine. I am also unsure of how the fans vent the air. I have been told that both sides of the plastic between the screen and keyboard are used, with air being forced out through the top and through the bottom. Any insight you guys can provide would be very appreciated. Thank you.

2. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

All you're really doing by blocking the ventilation partially is causing the fans to spin faster to compensate. It'll have run a little hotter too because cloth isn't a particularly rapid conductor. You won't have done any damage at all, so don't worry about that. None the less, it's a good idea to keep the vents clear - over a much longer period it could accelerate the wear of components to some degree.

3. pexxoum thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. I've looked into laptop mats that have built in fans which supposedly help to keep hot laptops cool, but I believe setting the Air on top of a book is fine. I'm sure Apple built this thing to manage and withstand heat without much trouble, so I doubt I need additional fans making a bunch of noise.

4. asting macrumors 6502

Leaving it on something that won't restrict the airflow (a desk, book, etc) will be just fine.
    No damage was done. The worst that could occur would be a few shut downs to prevent damage from heat, which i assume didn't happen because you didn't mention them.