Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Well I have a 2TB external HDD right now with FW800 and yes I definitely notice the difference! That was a big factor for me was the lack of any firewire of any kind on the MBA. Doing a restore from USB was terribly slow when transferring any big amount of data, with the FW I'll actually stare at the monitor and watch the transfer in awe because it's so damn fast.

Wow, I can't believe I admitted that, but as for actually using it, that thing is bigger than a brick I'm not sure I want to carry my external around. But as for importing from any digital camera it would be very nice to have the firewire option and/or if I get an external HDD with FW800 just for video editing.

And why I'm on the subject, why does everybody use an external when it comes to video editing? I mean I use one too for all my video editing now but when I first got my mac I never used any external drives and I never had any problems.

Just a thought, thanks again for all of your opinions..

(1) Space reasons, internals simply do not have enough (unless you have a Mac Pro).

(2) RAID drives perform better than standard drives, especially across eSATA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.