Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kurri

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
Does anyone use it on their air? If so, what is your opinion on performance? I have a macbook air i7 8gb was thinking about using it on my air. Would love to hear your experience.

fedecape

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Miami, FL
I use it everyday (I'm not a pro). IMO, it runs pretty good. No lags, no crashes.

It renders amazingly fast when the destination is the internal SSD, to the USB 3 soso.

The only thing is the battery life. Expect about 2 hours of battery life when your are working with it.

Kurri

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
yeah i would go USB 3.0 due to storage issues on the air. 2 hours battery is pretty bad but understandable. thanks for the info

I use it everyday (I'm not a pro). IMO, it runs pretty good. No lags, no crashes.

It renders amazingly fast when the destination is the internal SSD, to the USB 3 soso.

The only thing is the battery life. Expect about 2 hours of battery life when your are working with it.

TechnologyAddic

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2013
Manchester

Only 2 hours how much would you get when working with the pro retina?

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I am still using FCP 6 and it works great on my 2013 11" MBA with i7 8gb/512gb. Also worked fine on my 2011 13" MBA with i5 4gb/256gb. Rendering is faster on the new machine, and the fans kick into high about 5 minutes into a long render.

I would love to upgrade to FCP X, but FCP 6 is currently meeting my (rather modest) needs. If I get involved with any big projects, I will probably upgrade - but that might also make me think about getting a bigger/faster machine too.

But I love being able to work with video on this little machine, and it's about 3x faster than my old 2008 15" MBP. I am shooting full HD with Sony XDCAM EX.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.