MacBook Air and iPad in one device?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Piggie, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

What do you think?

1: I'm 100% sure it can be build. Of course it can.

2: I'm 100% sure apple have thought about doing something like this at some stage. If they decide to is another matter though :D

3: I think it would answer a lot or criticisms and solve a lot of problems in one go.

Basically a device, where in some way, some hinge mechanism you can either have something that runs low power and iOS for lazy sofa web browsing, but when needed, or when in the office, you can unlock the keyboard and it boots up into OSX for your serious "full experience" Mac work.

Of course, they no need to sync the iPad to a computer as it can sync with itself.

You only need 1 screen, 1 thin keyboard, perhaps 2 chipsets, or just the one more powerful one that can go into a low power mode for tablet work.

They can both share different sections of the SSD for data storage.

It would seem, for some, the ultimate answer, no need to carry laptop and tablet as they are both one device.

Would you buy one, if the price was right?

Do you think it's inevitable at some stage that Apple will build something like this as it's begging to be done in a NICE way that only Apple can?

2. shen macrumors 6502

If it can instantly boot between modes, it might have potential. And instant sync too. If you had to wait to either change modes or sync apps it would be frustrating....

Not sure still, if only because you would end up wanting to run all the apps in both modes. Imagine wanting to play an iPad only game and not being able to understand why you have to switch modes. Many users wouldn't get it.

Now if in about 5-7 years the iOS and osx systems are close enough that they could simply use one os, that solves that issue.

Screen would have to be touch in both modes. I already have finger prints on my MacBook screen since I started to use the iPad. Just seems natural sometimes.

Time will tell. Might be interesting though.

3. Carouser macrumors 65816

Who is currently carrying both their laptop and tablet? What reason could there be for doing so? All this device would mean is that now you're carrying something you don't need half the time.

A better question is 'can Apple make one for a price that would sell?' If Apple could, then they could also make even cheaper MBAs and iPads.

I think your concept is actually sufficiently vague that Apple will make something 'like this'. As far as I am concerned, they already do (any of their portables). The only thing missing is adding a swivel screen and iOS to an MBP. There's no need for it, as far as I can see.

In other words 'there would be no need for synchronizing at all'. If you could actually tell that one 'half' of this device was synchronizing with the other, or had to tell it to do so, it would be the dumbest design ever.

4. Forker macrumors newbie

It's a good idea and one that aligns well with the future of computing. In years to come there will no longer be laptops. It will all be tablets with laptop capabilities. It is just a matter of time until the competition heats up to the point that this type of device will become a reality.

In 10 years time we will all be joking around "do you remember when we used to have buttons"

5. Carouser macrumors 65816

So basically the question is 'will there ever be a tablet with a keyboard and an OS that looks like OSX but can run apps too'? Wow.

6. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

Ok, I can indeed change the question to.

Will apple make an iPad with enough power to run osx and an attached keyboard that hides away when you in low power iOS mode :D

7. tmarks11 macrumors 6502

So basically you are looking for an iOS emulator to run on your macbook air? So you can run all the ipad apps on our laptop?

Kind of funny, since most people are looking to figure a way to showhorn "real" full OS programs onto the ipad, not the other way around.

8. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

I am saying there does not need to be two devices at all eventually.

If one device can be made in a slim and lightweight way to run both ways.

All the tech has to be in place for it to work plus some great design.

9. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

Even assuming that the technical difficulties in the hardware and software could be overcome I'm not sure if a convertible tablet is something that Apple would be interested in doing. I think that Apple do their best work when the concept that the are designing can be expressed simply; for example the iPod was "all your music in your pocket". A convertible tablet isn't a simple concept especially when it changes OS depending on whether the keyboard is out or not.

You've also got the business side and the problem of how you price this convertible tablet. Ultimately Apple would like you to buy both an iPad and a Mac. A combined device would eat away at this so I would imagine that it would be priced pretty close to the combined price of a iPad and a MBA. Would it sell at this high price? I'm not sure it would sell enough to be worth the cost of developing it.

10. possumwater macrumors regular

possumwater

I think they will milk the most out of each device before they will combine it. It could be done tho.

11. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

Perhaps another way to do it would be to have a keyboard that contains an entire computer (think MacBook air without the screen) and then a simple switch/setting on the iPad to make it "become screen".

Then the iPad could run as a normal iPad or be the screen for the computer.

The iPad could power itself so the "keyboard computer" could save battery.

Of course the big trick would be how they connect? Would it be wireless? Would that be fast enough? It could hopefully sync to the computer as well? And charge all as one device only needing one lead?

Just thinking aloud. . . Interesting idea. . . I wonder how it will all evolve. . . .

12. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

WTF is with these duplicate threads on the same page asking the same questions lately?

13. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Ummm, I do. I leave the laptop in it's bag until I need it. Until iPad can interface with PLC and serial devices, I require a laptop.

14. Carouser macrumors 65816

And then you need the iPad why? What does the iPad do that the laptop you lug around doesn't?

15. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

If you ever own one, you'll understand.

16. Biff... macrumors 6502a

Biff...

Dell currently has a cool Duo Tablet Netbook Hybrid Merging the ipad with the macbook air would totally make sense.

Attached Files:

17. maturola, Dec 16, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2010

maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Apples want you to buy both, they won't combine it

18. Biff... macrumors 6502a

Biff...

Yea, thats what I get from it as well. Sadly though, now that I have an Ipad I want a MacBook pro :( But looking at the Dell hybrid for $600 I'm tempted to go cheap and get it.

19. Carouser macrumors 65816

lmao, I understand perfectly what the iPad does and the MBP does. I still can't think of a situation where I would need to carry both (I've certainly never experienced it). If you feel like sharing, go ahead. I know that such situations exist in insufficient numbers to warrant bolting the two together and having them share a screen.

20. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Same thing manufactors have been doing for the past 10 years, unsuccessfully. Now we have a NETBOOK with a flip screen. Netbooks are craptacular. I guess a $600 price tag makes it more craptacular.

I enjoy using the iPad more than the laptop. It's more convenient. More comfortable (especially when laying down). Lots more. Most apps are nicer than the websites.

Tossing an iPad in a messenger bag or backpack along with a laptop is not a big deal.

21. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

Indeed.

Shame it's a bit plasticy with a naff front end.

It's been said a few times, if Apple had made this, but make this better.

Thinner, from Aluminium, and used the Air as the base, and you flipped the screen over and you had a slightly thicker iPad, then the Apple fans would be wetting themselves over the device with excitement.

22. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Again this is the same device that has been built for the past ten years, except it has an under powered Atom processor and Windows 7.

What I got from your original post was an iPad merge with a MacBook. Open it up, you have OSX on a laptop processor. Close it and you have iOS on a mobile processor. I could see that, but if I want a laptop, I want a 13 inch screen, and if I want the iPad, I don't want the laptop attached to it. Plus if I drop it, BOTH devices break, instead of the dropped device. Same goes with theft, unless I have both with me, then it's a moot point.

23. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

Of course, we do have the Sync to only one computer problem that Apple have given us.

You buy your iPad and sync to iTunes at home on your iMac, bring your iPad to work, but you can't do certain tasks without using iTunes and you can't just install iTunes on your work machine, as would need natural. You have to wait till you come back home at the end of the day to do what you need to.

It's about time Apple at the very least allowed you to sync to two machines, in a typical scenario Home and Work.

Of course, the other option, and the one I much prefer myself, is to make the iPad a more independant device that does not need to be linked to a "Computer" to perform some basic tasks.

None of the above is anything to do with technical limitations, it's all to do with Apple's control over the device I'm afraid :(

24. BrennerM macrumors regular

How about this: create a keyboard base unit (MacBase?) that includes a pointing device (trackpad) plus the CPU/GPU/etc for running OSX. It would have one or two hinged mounting points. Alter the iPad just slightly to include one/two mounting sockets on the side (not standard iPod dock ports).

When the iPad is mounted on the keyboard unit, it uses the iPads display, battery, and flash storage to function as a full OSX computer (using the keyboard unit's CPU/GPU). The "lid"/iPad can be folded down on top of the keyboard unit via the hinge mechanism.

When the iPad is removed, it uses a second internal CPU/GPU to run iOS as a normal iPad. Note: the keyboard unit would be non-functional unless the iPad was attached.

Best of both worlds?

25. poloponies macrumors 68030

With the ultimate cost of two devices and the interdependency where, if one part fails, both do. Everybody wants every feature and option thrown in at the lowest cost but that is not a practical reality.