MacBook Air and iPad mini users

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by hbksabhi, Jul 21, 2013.

1. hbksabhi macrumors regular

How do you use your both devices .... I mean if u have mac air do u feel importamce of ipad mini and vice versa .
    I have a mini and planning MBA . Share your views on usage of both devices day to day experience

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I use the mini to check email, light browsing, and some games. Plus the mini goes with me everywhere since its a lot more portable than my Air.

I use the Air to do things my mini can't do, like run Windows, Civ V and 1000 other things.

Two different tools. Two different capabilities and purposes.

3. hockeyfanatic macrumors member

11" mba $849 with discounts VS Ipad retina 128GB $749 with discounts.

Use the mini/iphone where laptops would not be feasible.

4. Dr Charter macrumors 6502

I use my iPad mini for ebooks, notes, research, and online teaching. I usually have it next to my notebook to look up references or read .pdfs of articles. I have a grading app where I can mark up student papers with a stylus. It also works pretty well for recording and uploading lectures or audio/video feedback for students. I have an Apple wireless keyboard I can use to type on it because I find the keyboard cases for the mini to be a bit too small.

I just ordered one of these folios as it matches my use for the iPad mini perfectly. http://www.dodocase.com/products/dodocase-folio-for-ipad-mini

[​IMG]

I use my Air for writing articles/books, web browsing, and legacy gaming occasionally. The Endnote app for iPad is nice but still a bit limited for adding citations, so I do that kind of work on the Air. I use a Thunderbolt display at home and in the office to have multiple windows and documents open at once but I also use the Air a lot by itself at cafes or while traveling.

5. SusanK macrumors 68000

Love MBA, mini is flaky

I absolutely love my 11 inch MBA. It is perfect for me in every way. If I could have only one device it is the MBA.

I like the idea of the iPad mini. It feels good in my hands the iPad did not. Seemed unbalanced and heavy in areas. I love the retina display and miss that but I knew about the display so that does not contribute to flaky.

WiFi is weak on the mini. Signal drops frequently at home (Airport Extreme) and hotspots. I often need to getup and walk around a Starbucks, Panera etc to get closer to the router. Not at all unusually to pass cheap acer netbooks that have strong signals when I do this. I pass lots of pc's to get closer to the signal.

I walk past many iPads too. This is my second mini. The first one was returned during the 14 day period for the same reasons. This one is a little better but not what I expect from Apple.

Siri's standard response to any question is "I don't know what that means, Susan" If I am foolish to ask again there is a snarky remark. I especially do not appreciate a poorly functioning program with attitude. I relate very strongly to the latest Surface ad with Siri "do you still think I'm pretty?". No, I have no interest in Surface but the ad resonates.

I would not buy another mini. The size is easy to carry but a bigger screen would be better. Steve was right on screen size.

Back to WiFi mini issues. Here at home the mini drops or cannot find the Airport Extreme on a table next to the MBA and 2 4g iPad Touches with strong signals and no drops.

My first mini was a refurb, the current on was new. I doubt they were from the same batch.

Hope that helps.

6. JMountainDew macrumors regular

JMountainDew

I use my 11" MBA for everything from word processing to keynote presentations throughout the course of my daily work. I enjoy my Mini for couch surfing and iBook reading after work.

7. Zaphyrus macrumors member

I own an 11" and Mini. And to be honest, they both see equal amounts of use. I primarily use the iPad for reading books, sketching, and marking up PDFs and invoices for work whereas the MBA is used for heavier lifting like Photoshop work, design mock-ups for clients and typing out those PDFs.

8. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

I have an iPad Mini along with the MacBook Air. The iPad Mini is great for reading, light browsing, checking quick emails, watching videos and listening to music. Battery life on that thing I swear I get 11-12 hours. Also, there are a number of apps on it that are not on the Mac (TiVo is one).

But for anything where I need to be productive with MS Office apps or editing, the MacBook Air is way better. The MBA is much more capable, but the iPad has its uses as well. Also, if I am running out or on an airplane, the iPad Mini usually will suffice and is nice and small to carry with me.

I paid about the same price for the iPad Mini + MacBook Air as a MacBook Pro would have cost. For my needs, they work great!

9. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

My mini sits on my bedside table. Occasionally gets used for watching video or for FaceTime. That's about it. MBA, iPhone and Kindle 99% of the time.

10. munakib macrumors 6502

I have definitely stopped using my iPad but I do use my Nexus 7 when I am too far away from my Air and that only happens when I am too lazy to move my ass from bed.

Get the Air and after your mini starts collecting dust, ebay it.

11. sergiobaschi macrumors regular

I use my mini for surfing, Facebook, checking e-mails and playing the occasional iPad game, watching movies when travelling by train or airplane, due to it's better battery life (as I don't have the new MBA).

I use my 2011 MBA 11" for coding (and some PS/Illustrator work) when I'm away from my iMac. During a couple of months during the autumn - between two iMacs, the Air was my primary machine. I didn't complain that much on it's power resources (except for launching the Android emulator!), but it was an ergonomical disaster to use for 8-10 hours per day...

12. Akarin macrumors 6502

Akarin

I troll forums on the Mini while in bed and I do actual work on the MBA.

13. larry918 macrumors regular

We could be twins! Same here :)

14. hbksabhi thread starter macrumors regular

so iphone sits in a corner at home coz of mini i guess

15. Soulflower macrumors regular

Soulflower

What discounts did you use to get it for this price? Thanks.

16. munakib macrumors 6502

I think he is referring to the Back To School offer (50$ gift card on Apple/iTunes purchases). Its not technically 749 as you still need to buy stuff from Apple.

17. hockeyfanatic macrumors member

Yes. Just compared it in cart. I may have overlooked something.

18. tjdaugherty macrumors newbie

I have a 13" MBA and a 32GB Mini - the simplest way I can put it is production vs consumption.

My MBA is where I create docs, use Adobe, manage finances, etc.
    My Mini is great for RSS, social media, and watching videos.

19. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

That's about right. If I watched more TV, I'd probably use my iPads a lot. But I don't. So they get terribly neglected. I don't think I've used my iPad for more than 5 minutes at a time in the past month.

20. hbksabhi thread starter macrumors regular

D you have mini or full sized ipad

21. Akarin macrumors 6502

Akarin

Same here. I wouldn't code on an iPad (even though, I sometimes do using Textastic + a bluetooth keyboard cover) but I find it more convenient for consuming contents. I read books on the iPad and iPad mini as well as watch movies.

22. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Very well put. The MBA is for productive work, the iPad mini more for consumption, reading, checking things out and so on.

At the moment, I have both a MBA an an iPad mini - both refurb, as it happens; the latter is extremely portable, but I have not yet gotten into the habit of using it a lot; the former is what I do all of my writing, researching, and other work on.