Macbook Air and iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Appler8, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Appler8 macrumors member

Does anyone here use the MacBook Air and iPad? I need a more inexpensive laptop, so I'm going with the 11 inch MacBook Air, and I'm also considering buying the iPad? Is this a stupid decision or should I just go with a 13 / 15 inch MacBook Pro. Info: I Will only use my laptop for Emails, Word, Safari and iTunes. Nothing to fancy like videos.

2. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

It almost sounds like the iPad is enough to do everything you need, but I would definitely go for the MBA over the Pro for those uses.

3. bp1000, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011

bp1000 macrumors 65816

Yes I have both

I bought the new MBA 13" version this summer and recently updated the iPad to the ipad2.

The MBA is for the day job, hooked up to a big screen. I do things on it that I can't do / can't do easily on the iPad. Like, graphics, coding, ssh, moving files, talking on Skype, spreadsheets, multitasking etc.

The iPad is picked up right after I close the MBA lid. For twitter, magazines, general web browsing, like right now, YouTube, vod, email and stuff like moog and GarageBand.

To me they are 2 different beasts, I wouldn't want to be without either. I wouldn't confuse the MBA small size with being too similar to the iPad. The MBA is still a powerful workhorse and I bought it over the MBP for its portability and ssd by default which makes it very quick for 95% of my daily tasks.

It sounds like your requirements are very close to falling into the iPad bubble. So it isn't as clear cut for you but for me I have a defined need for both. I could use the air for my general stuff too but I like the convenience and usbaility of the iPad.

Ps... The pro would be a waste of money for your needs.

4. tmarks11 macrumors 6502

I have a MBA 11 and two ipad 1s.

MBA11 rocks. Only slightly larger then my iPad, almost as good battery life as the ipad, endlessly more capability. Get one, you won't be sorry. I am very impressed by mine.

I still prefer using the ipad for web browsing, just something so convenient about its form factor. With all the safari crashes on iOS5, I might end up changing my mind soon.

Hopefully Apple will release MBA in tablet form soon...

5. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

I bought an iPad 2 and a Mac mini. Made more sense.

6. palpatine macrumors 68040

You really don't need a computer, in my opinion. Pages has improved quite a bit, so that takes care of word processing. Everything else is great (better?) on the iPad. I have an MBP 13" (great computer) and an iPad. I would say I spend about 99 percent of my time with the iPad (and a bluetooth keyboard).

7. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I have both and the battery life on the MBA 11" is definitely not "almost as good as" the iPad. It's rated at about half as good and probably worse depending on what you're doing on it.

I agree that the OP could get on just fine with an iPad. I still think you need a full blown in the house for those just-in-case moments.

8. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

If I was in your position, I would get the MBA, first and see if that did everything that I wanted it to. Then I would think about getting the iPad.

9. s2dio macrumors regular

s2dio

True, I would do exactly like that. It's never too late to buy a second gadget, but it could be a disappointment if you eventually find out that you don't need both.

10. palpatine macrumors 68040

That's why I would get the iPad :)

Everyone's use case is different, of course, but the iPad is about half the price of the MBA, has about twice the battery life, weighs less, and seems able to do everything the OP wants. Plus, it is fun. I don't know if the OP is a reader, but having the iPad means you can read anytime, anywhere. This is something you won't get with the MBA.