Macbook Air and iPod Classic?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by gan6660, Jul 17, 2010.

1. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

I am seriously considering getting a MBA as my only computer when I go to college and was wondering can you store your itunes movies on an iPod Classic and watch them on the MBA to conserve hard drive space? This would pretty much mean using the iPod as an external hard drive.

2. hayden.ostrom9 macrumors newbie

ya you should be able to.....But there's an attachment that plugs into your ipod and laptop that makes it like a Time Machine. The only thing that you would have to do is sync everything to your ipod, then delete it off your computer. Once you wanted to put the videos back onto your laptop just ''transfer purchases'' from your ipod to your computer. I would buy and adapter for the wall to charge your ipod so you don't screw anything up when you try and charge it from your laptop. :cool: :apple:

3. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

Thanks. Does anyone know how it would work with movies converted by handbrake?

4. Spacekatgal macrumors regular

Spacekatgal

Do you ever work out? I mean, that's what I learned to do in college. My point is that the iPod Classic will break like no one's business if you run with it. I should know - I've broken four of them before the Nano came out.

My point is that they have traditional HDs in them, so they break if you shake them a lot.

Bri

5. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

Well I really wouldnt use it as my iPod, I would have a touch for that. I was just thinking of the classic because I would get that will the free ipod deal.

6. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

honestly, you might have a better time just investing in a cheap external harddrive.

But if you really don't want to, then I suppose the iPod classic will do.

7. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I think this is a very bad idea.

Buy a cheap USB hard drive and use that for external storage if you need more space on your MBA. Then, use the iPod Classic for its intended purpose... as a portable copy of your digital media.

/Jim

8. dpo macrumors member

From my testing, this should work, at least from the point of view of just storing video files (I don't know about purchasing movies from iTunes, transferring them, etc). One cool point which sets off an iPod classic from more basic portable hard drives is that it will work through an unpowered hub.

So you can have a USB key, an iPod classic (and/or indeed iPhone), mouse and keyboard (or whatever) all through one hub. Bumps up storage a little bit and you need all you can get with the Air.

At any rate, this worked the last time I tested it on a rev A.