Macbook air and Parallels

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by k1mxzn, Feb 24, 2011.

1. k1mxzn macrumors newbie

So I was planning on buying a Mac soon but i found out the program i really need for work doesn't work for macs. I read about installing parallels (not sure if this is even the best option) but was curious if it would be able to run on the 11' 4gb 128gb mba.

I only need to run 1 program from windows and its actually not memory or any kinda intensive othr than required bandwidth but I need it to be on practically all day.. would i be better off getting a pc?

i really like macs because of the awesome trackpad and because it actually has those keyboard itunes keys that play when you press play...

but i don't think it would be smart to be running windows all day on a mac.

2. AppleSimon macrumors regular

The program would run absolutely fine through Parallels or even VM Ware Fusion. If your just wanting to run Windows to use that one program and will be using it all day, then consider using Boot Camp, this means you will not have to pay out for another piece of software as it's built into the system. But if you wanted to switch between Windows and Mac OS throughout the day then it will require a restart - whereas Parallels/VM Ware just run alongside therefore no restart required.

I run Parallels on my ultimate 11.6" absolutely fine.

3. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

4. k1mxzn thread starter macrumors newbie

well i want to take advantage of the mac.. primarily the play button for itunes :D

So is parallels like a side opening that opens a window program through mac? i guess thats what id love...

5. AppleSimon macrumors regular

If you want to use Mac OS and Windows then yes Parallels/VM Ware is your best option.

Heres a screenshot of me browsing on Safari and having Windows running next to it. Using a 27" iMac does help space of course compared to the 11". But you could still easily operate them both together, just not side by side.

[​IMG]