MacBook Air and Photography...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Eyeu, May 4, 2011.

1. Eyeu, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 4, 2011

Eyeu macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Use my iMac for everyday photo editing but thinking of getting the MacBook Air 11" for travel. How well does the 1.6 4gigRAM work with PS, LR...???
    Always hesitant to pull the trigger, thinking the faster model will be
    showcased the day after I purchase it!!! Anyone use it for PS? etc?
    thanks..
    Rick

2. unclet macrumors member

I use my 13" MBA to do a lot of photo editing in Aperture. It's seems much more responsive than it was on my 2009 15" MBP. I've read about others using LR and PS on the 13" models with very good results. I'm not sure about the 11". If you aren't connecting it to a monitor, however, I think the bigger screen size and higher resolution would make the 13" a better laptop for photo editing. However, you can't beat the 11" for portability.

3. SeanU macrumors member

I recently picked up a 1.4ghz 2gb 11" MBA for doing editing while commuting using Lightroom. It works pretty well for light editing. I do see some slowdowns when doing a lot of work with the local adjustment brush, but in general it performs ok. The extra speed and memory on your config surely won't hurt. If you are worried, maybe the step up to the 13" will give you some more peace of mind for only a little more weight/size.

Sean

4. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

I purchased a 11" ultimate instead of an iPad for on the road editing, it is great. I only have aperture 3, runs fine, some processing is slow but not painfully slow.

my wife's mbp took a soda bath so she now has the mba 11", i now have the 13 ultimate which cost the same as a 15" mbp, but I like how it is easier to travel with.

the little increase in screen does help.

I also have an iMac which I do most of my editing on, but my 2007 iMac extreme is showing it age.

5. rebby macrumors 6502

Works great for me. I don't do a lot of intensive stuff on my MBA but I do use it quite a bit (both Aperture and CS5). It's a pretty good little machine, don't expect it to perform like a maxed out MBP and you'll likely be very happy with an MBA.

6. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

My MacBook Air would completely lock up when doing anything intensive with Aperture. It's a problem with Apple's Nvidia drivers, as I noted on my blog.

7. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

that sucks,

What preset is causing this? can it be reproduced on other MBA's

so far I have not had one glitch. my MBA are 11/1.6/4/128, and 13/2.13/4/256

8. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

As you can see from the post, I am already getting video corruption from the "quick fix" preset preview. I have gotten the machine crash from using the quick fix preset (I use this a lot) and some custom color adjustment using the half and quarter tone adjustments.

9. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

I have zero issues with any of the preset or adjustments, they must be something wrong with your system or installation. I have to MBA and they both work. Before I purchased my MBA, I spend 2 hours testing the MBA in the Apple with the lowest configured MBA, running batches of preset and other adjustments and still no crash. Maybe this is just related to your system. If you can reproduce it, take it to Apple store and show them, maybe they can test out your system.

10. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

Good idea, maybe after finals week.

11. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

hopefully you can get this fixed.