Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Hi,

Just curious for those of you who have both a MacBook Air and Aperture 2, is there any trackpad gestures that work in Aperture?

I think an excellent application of gestures would be using the light table in Aperture 2.

Any support for this implemented already?

David

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
eek aperture is a resource hog and as slow as sin on my mac pro, hate to see what its like on the mba. Hopefully they have made some performance enhancements for aperture 2

samwise

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2005
North Salt Lake, Utah
Apple site says an MBA will run it, but recommended specs are:

* Mac computer with a 2.0GHz or faster Intel Core Duo processor or dual 2.0GHz or faster PowerPC G5 processors

* 2GB of RAM

* One of the following graphics cards:
o ATI Radeon X800 XT Mac Edition, 9800 XT, 9800 Pro, X1900 XT, X1600, or HD 2600 XT, HD 2600 PRO
o NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series, 7300 GT, 7800 GT 8600M GT, or 8800 GT
o NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 or FX 5600

So it might run it, but how well?

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
eek aperture is a resource hog and as slow as sin on my mac pro, hate to see what its like on the mba. Hopefully they have made some performance enhancements for aperture 2

Aperture 2 has a quickview mode where only previews are loaded when you are navigating, allowing you to find the photo you want, change modes, edit it, change modes back, and keep browsing. On the preview mode for my MBP, it's super-duper-crazy fast. Just as nice as iPhoto. I like it.

Anybody out there with an MBA feeling nice enough to try out the demo? it's free....

I am especially curious about the MBA w/ SSD, because your incredibly low seek times might help a lot. 2 GB RAM matches the recommended minimum, as well.

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
I have it installed. It runs fine on the MBA, a bit slow but thats expected. The main issue is screen real estate. I plan on using it for quick shots, but if you are working on a ton of images you really need a bigger monitor.

beatzfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
NYC
I just tested it with RAW, and its pretty slow making adjustments and generating previews.

It crashed on me when I tried to crop.

The quick view seemed pretty speedy. I like it.

Unfortunately, now I remember why I was hesitant to buy Aperture. For some reason, Canon raw files show up with a yellow hue.

I'm going for Lightroom.

I have the 1.6 80HD, btw

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
I have it installed. It runs fine on the MBA, a bit slow but thats expected. The main issue is screen real estate. I plan on using it for quick shots, but if you are working on a ton of images you really need a bigger monitor.

Thats great, but doesn't address the question I asked in my first post (which is what I started the thread for). That question was, are any trackpad gestures supported in Aperture 2 (particularly on the light table)?

Just curious.

David

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
I just tested it with RAW, and its pretty slow making adjustments and generating previews.

It crashed on me when I tried to crop.

The quick view seemed pretty speedy. I like it.

Unfortunately, now I remember why I was hesitant to buy Aperture. For some reason, Canon raw files show up with a yellow hue.

I'm going for Lightroom.

no crashes here, crops just fine. I have the 1.8 SSD model, and I dont feel the actions to be speedy...but not to slow to use the app.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
well if that's not evidence that the new macbook pro is coming very soon i don't know what is.

Seriously. It's obviously the future. :)

no crashes here, crops just fine. I have the 1.8 SSD model, and I dont feel the actions to be speedy...but not to slow to use the app.

Well, I kind of imagined that the transformations and things would be slow, since they are GPU accelerated if available. Do you find that loading the RAW images is pretty speedy? I am really curious to see the SSD vs. HDD comparison for Aperture use.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
aperture is a pro program and while you can use it on a mba it wasn't designed to be run on one for sure. so why would they have late breaking news about gesture support using aperture 2 unless......

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
aperture is a pro program and while you can use it on a mba it wasn't designed to be run on one for sure. so why would they have late breaking news about gesture support using aperture 2 unless......

Oh My God! The Mac Pro is getting a mighty mouse with a track pad built into it that supports gestures!

Actually I think you guys are right, and think that is good deduction. I hope it comes out next Tuesday ... although I'm not buying one anyway so I don't know why I'm hoping that...
Hmm.

-Allen

beatzfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
NYC
Seriously. It's obviously the future. :)

Well, I kind of imagined that the transformations and things would be slow, since they are GPU accelerated if available. Do you find that loading the RAW images is pretty speedy? I am really curious to see the SSD vs. HDD comparison for Aperture use.

I only loaded 10 RAW files, but they loaded pretty quickly on the 1.6 80HD.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I've been using aperture 2 for the past few hours.. I haven't noticed any major slowdowns. Some of the animations lag but thats about. Pretty speedy imo.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
jpg. camera doesn't support raw, one of the drawbacks i guess. its 6mp.

Well, that would explain it. That's a tradeoff that you have to deal with--JPG is nice in that the files take up much smaller space on the hard drive (on the order of <2 MB) for 6-10 MP cameras, vs. 6-10 MB for RAW. But, JPG images store image information totally differently, so they don't support the kind of editing power you get from RAW images.

But, those big images are where the slowdown occurs, and I think that would explain why Aperture is so fast for you. Its speed is totally dependent on how long it takes to load and process images. Smaller images means faster load times.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
I have over 19,000 photos in my iPhoto Library. I think my Library is about 29Gigs. I'm running it on a 1st gen MacBook and it's starting to slow down a bit. Do you think that it would do the same in Aperture 2 or will it be worse?

Also, I really love the whole "events" thing. Does Aperture have an Events browser, or is it just the tree view on the left. I guess I really need to just download the demo huh?

Anyway, if there is a performance loss going to Aperture, would it be that much worse on a MBA?

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Ever since it first came out I have been using Aperture on my machines. Now I've got the MBA and now Aperture has been released as Aperture 2.0. I've installed Aperture 2.0 on my other machines but am still hesitating as to whether or not to install it on my new 1.8 GHz SSD MBA...... This machine will be my traveling companion and it will be sucking up all the images I shoot while on a trip; I shoot in RAW with the D3 and the D300, so we're talking BIG image files. Although I would not be doing any major image processing while away from home, I'd more than likely want to process a few here-and-there. I am not familiar enough with iPhoto to know if that will be sufficient. I've seen a few people's experience with the MBA and Aperture 2.0 but not a lot yet, so am hoping for some additional feedback....

newdawn

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2008
Texas
MBA & Aperture 1.5.6

I can't get 1.5.6 to work on my MBA, but the 2.0 Trial works perfectly... anyone got any insight into this? I can't afford to upgrade to 2.0 yet... and I missed the $9.95 upgrade deal by 10 days. :p At any rate, I really would like 1.5.6 to work until I can upgrade. It unexpectedly quits before it even gets to the opening screen.

gator05

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
MBA 1.6/80. Fired up Aperture 2.1. It took some time to load pictures and fireup the previews. Afterwards, however, it's pretty quick even on edits. Agree with using the preview mode as necessary. The processors will spike up to higher usages, and it will get hot. Also gets plenty hot when uploading pictures from my camera; this may be due to hard drive, but intermittent processor spikes to full-use noted as well. Not perfect, but, perfectly usable for on-the-go editing.

My iMac at home does the bulk of my aperture work.

I'm also going to try to demo of lightroom 2.

So far, every time I test the MBA, it passes. I've been almost looking for a reason to listen to the "experts" and return for a MBP. Aside from a slightly faster experience for my uses I can't agree with the experts. Multiple apps? Check. iTunes HD video? Check and speedy, if other apps are closed. Flash? With the new 10 beta, temps are hovering around 130-140 even after 10+ minutes. Battery life longer than attention span? Check.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.