Macbook Air Applecare

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by abcd8888, Aug 28, 2013.

1. abcd8888 macrumors newbie

I just ordered a macbook air with education discount, and wondering is applecare automatically included?

Do i have to register for applecare because I selected "none" instead of "APPLECARE PROTECTION PLAN UPLIFT MACBOOK/MACBOOK AIR/MACBOOK PRO 13" (HE CONTRACT)"

and how long do i get applecare for?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, applecare is a separate purchase - you can use your education discount to reduce the price, but its not automatically included.

3. teffers macrumors regular

I'm not sure where you are, but here in the UK I ordered my MBA via the Apple Educational store and have just received my free Applecare cover policy. Expiry date 2016. I never selected anything extra.

Took about a month after my initial purchase to arrive in the post.

4. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

AppleCare is not included in purchases made directly from Apple (either online or in the store) but is often included in bundles when bought from college bookstores, and as Teffers pointed out is included in UK university sales.

If you DID end up with AppleCare then your Mac should be covered for a total of 3 years. (First year limited warranty + two years of AppleCare coverage)

5. silvershamrock macrumors member

BTW, if it wasn't already included, you can purchase it any time before the 12 months of free coverage expires. You don't have to order it at the time of the original purchase.

6. Primus84 macrumors 6502

7. teffers macrumors regular

Great link, thanks Primus.

I wasn't sure I was getting the AppleCare (Parts and Labour) cover until the policy arrived.

8. hunnyberry macrumors newbie

If I purchase Apple Care by the end of my first year of purchase, will the coverage start at the time of purchase? Cause if that's the case, then I might do that since I will have 4 years of Apple Care all in all.

9. posguy99 macrumors 6502

It starts on the original purchase date of the laptop, like the website says.

http://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AppleCare doesn't add 3 years of coverage; it extends the coverage from 1 to 3 years. You can't get more than 3 years coverage.

AppleCare AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac or Apple Display
    • You can buy AppleCare any time during the first year warranty period, so you don't have to buy it at time of purchase.
    • You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here
    • AppleCare will extend the 1 year warranty for an additional 2 years, for a total of 3 years coverage from the date of your Mac purchase. It also extends telephone support from 90 days, which is included with your original warranty, to a total of 3 years.
    • AppleCare follows the device, not the owner. When a Mac changes hands, the AppleCare coverage still applies to the computer. There is no need to "register" the new owner in order to receive coverage.
    • You cannot buy AppleCare again for the same device or renew it.
    • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover damage from accidents, spills, etc. They only cover manufacturing defects.
    • AppleCare+ provides some coverage for accidental damage, but is only available for the iPad and iPhone, not for Apple computers.
    • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover batteries that have worn out. They only cover defective batteries.
    • You can buy AppleCare from Apple or from other sources, such as Amazon, B&H Photo Video, L.A. Computer Company and others. Exercise caution when buying from sites such as eBay, as some AppleCare offers have been scams.
    • For more detailed questions, read the AppleCare Protection Plan (pdf) agreement.
    • Apple to Update AppleCare with Subscription Service and In-Store Repair Options
    As to whether AppleCare is worth it or not, that's a matter of opinion. You'll find lots of opinions on both sides, with roughly 75% saying it's worth it. You really need to decide if it's worth it to you. If you want more information, you can search the forum, where you'll find dozens, if not hundreds of threads asking "is AppleCare worth it?" The overall consensus seems to be about 75% in favor of it.

11. silvershamrock macrumors member

You get the best value by purchasing it before your complimentary 90 days of telephone support expires.

Purchasing AppleCare after that initial 90 days is up will reactivate your telephone support -- but if you don't let it expire in the first place then you get to keep using it seamlessly :D

12. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

ha, if only! but no- -they thought of that. in your case you would have 3 years just like the person who bought it the time of purchase