Macbook Air as 2nd computer

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by canesfins, Oct 22, 2010.

1. canesfins macrumors newbie

I currently own a MBP i7

I am contemplating a MBA as a second ultra portable. I will use it primarily for basic functions - word processing, internet, some pictures, some video. Anything requiring storage or power will be the MBP. the 11" seems rather attractive, however, for less than $100 - the 13" offers significant upgrades - but larger size (either way getting 128GB). Looking for advice - this is a tough decision.

2. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

If you want a Netbook, get the low-end 11" models.

If you want a sub-notebook/ultraportable notebook, get the 13" models.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I see no point in owning two laptops. I'd swap to an iMac and then get the air. That's a great combo.

4. canesfins thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't owned a desktop in 10 years, so completely committed to laptops. My thing is the smaller size of a MBA could fit a niche where my 15" MBP is just too large. That is what is enticing about the 11" - the small size, nice quality screen, and more than a netbook. I can't stand my Toshiba netbook, slow, and the screen is awful. The small screen on the 11" with respect to web pages and scrolling down is a bit worrisome.

5. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

The only reason someone should own both a MBP & MBA is if they will be using their MBA as a travel machine. That's what I'm planning to do.

6. bdeitemeyer macrumors member

Agreed, the MBA should be an option only for those that take their laptop with them quite often and want the extremely light weight.

7. bolsen78 macrumors regular

Same here!! This MB is heavy when I lug it to Caribou or anywhere else. It was why I bought the Dell mini but I regret ever getting that one!!! But I will also be on a long flight in Dec and the 11.6 will be perfect for my 15 hour flight along with my Iphone and movies!!