Macbook Air as a Media Center

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by downingp, Apr 25, 2009.

1. downingp macrumors 6502a

I currently am using a Macbook Air Rev A to finish up graduate school. Once I graduate, I plan on getting rid of the Macbook Air and getting a mac mini to serve as a media center.
    In the meantime, I have on order a DVI to HDMI cable to connect to my HDTV and have a mini to RCA cable for sound. How will the Macbook Air function as a Media Center?

Thanks.

2. Pixellated macrumors 65816

As long as you're not watching 1080p flash, then fine!

3. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

4. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

What is the key to not letting it overheat? I haven't used the Macbook Air for video in a while, but I do recall hearing the fans and the video stuttering when I would watch a TV show from HULU, Netflix, or any other content over the internet.

5. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

I am not exactly sure how you plan on using it as a media center, but I use Handbrake almost daily to convert DVDs to AppleTV compatible files.

Handbrake is very processor intensive and typically causes my iMac 3.06 GHz processor to get extremely hot. Therefore, I would be cautious about constantly overheating the processor of such a compact computer like the MacBook Air.

6. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I actually also use Handbrake to rip my movies. I have all my movies stored on my iMac. I plan on streaming the movies from the iMac to the MBA to watch on the HDTV

7. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well it turns out the MBA is not going to be used as my Media Center. The MBA is just not meant for watching/streaming video. After about 5 minutes of watching a movie, the video will start to stutter; making the movie unwatchable. Also, when I plug in a mini to RCA cable from the MBA to my receiver I can hear a very noticeable high pitch buzzing noise.
    Oh well, I guess I will just have to wait until I can sell my MBA for a mac mini after graduation.

8. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Well yeah, laptops arent really made to be servers/media centers.

9. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I thought it would at least get me by until I graduated and could get rid of the MBA and get a mac mini. I guess not.

10. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i'm sorry to hear that. but i must ask, where you streaming movies over wireless?

11. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes I was streaming movies/TV shows from my iMac to my MBA via a wireless connection. I have also had problems just trying to watch movies from the internet on Netflix

12. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

CoolBook will undervolt your processor and helps many people have their videos run just fine on it. I watch flash video on my Rev A all the time and it works great. I'd recommend using Plex as that works really well with HD video on the MBA.

Flash - Yes
    Quicktime - Yes
    Quicktime/Plex/VLC HD - Yes
    Flash HD - No

Good luck!