MacBook Air as a secondary computer?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Frosteric901, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Frosteric901 macrumors newbie

Hey guys I am new on here. Enjoying it quite so far. Anyways I was thinking of picking up a 2014 MacBook air 11" either base model or high end one not sure atm. Now I already have a 15" retina MacBook pro which tbh is quite portable. But I was thinking of getting the MacBook air for portability reasons so that it can be something I can take to uni everyday if I needed to get work done there, that way my main computer would be the MacBook pro at home.

The only issue I am debating is that I already have an iPad air 2 so is the MacBook air that drastically different from the air 2 that it would be worthile getting or do you guys think it's better to just get a Bluetooth keyboard.
    Anyways just having a bit of trouble deciding any help would be appreciated

2. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

Only you can say that. Take for a day or two only the iPad to uni and figure out if you miss something.

For me personally an iPad is a nice toy, great for the kids, to watch videos or show pictures to somebody but can never replace a proper PC. Which is why I got an 11" Air that is all in all not much bigger or heavier than an iPad but does so much more.

3. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

What do you use that MBP for? Depending on your answer, one of the possible routes for you is to sell that 15" and get a 13" MBA or MBP in the sweet spot between capability and performance.

4. Frosteric901 thread starter macrumors newbie

The MBP is my main computer atm, use for photo editing, general browsing and assignments, but I love the 15" MBP too much to sell it haha

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

If you're loaded why not? If you aren't then blowing around $1,000 on a superfluous computer sounds ridiculous. You already have a 15" MBP that can easily be toted around in a bag. Considering all the hefty books you need to carry a slightly heavier laptop won't really make a difference.

Otherwise get a keyboard case for the iPad. Then you can type homework on it in the library. I wouldn't be surprised if there are more useful apps for school on the iPad than Mac.

Couldn't that $1,000 go to something more important to a college student. Like booze and more booze.

6. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

Personally I think it's a complete waste of money. If it was $200-$300, I could see a case for it, but not at brand new or refurbished prices.

7. Frosteric901 thread starter macrumors newbie

actually booze sounds quite nice haha. but as i said i am only thinking at this stage.

8. jdelgado macrumors regular

I have a 15 in MBP and a 11 in MBA. The MBP is my main computer. The MBA is for moving around and backup for an eventual emergency.

In may case, I need to run VMs, and run some applications that are not available on the iPad (I also have one, but I barely use it). I need the MBA and an iPad does not do what I need.
    I keep the MBP and MBA synchronised so that I have the same documents in both every time. This is important if you are going to work with two computers.

As someone said before, it all comes down to
    1. what you will do with the MBA/iPad.
    2. cost

9. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

My quote from another thread:

I've had the Transcend SSD for awhile now, and all is GREAT in MBA Land. IMHO, the 11" MBA is a Great secondary computer and traveling companion.

Lou

10. Frosteric901, Dec 24, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2014

Frosteric901 thread starter macrumors newbie

the 11" does sound like a great secondary computer tbh. honestly the reason i would get it is to be able to use onenote extensively while at uni taking notes or making my own. i know the iPad has one note but it is limited in functionality in comparison to OSX version. also web browsing awhile at uni too