MacBook Air Battery broken, sell?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by waring192, Jul 31, 2017.

1. waring192 macrumors member

Hello all,

Quite some time ago I bought a used 13" MacBook Air (mid 2011) out of warranty of eBay. Worked fine for a few months then the battery broke.

Anyhow, I opened it up and its looks like someone had a go at fixing it before me so the battery was knackered. I did a claim on my home insurance and managed to get a 13" Retina MacBook Pro (Late 2013) so was happy with the outcome in the end.

So as I had no use for the MacBook Air I gave it to my late mother as she only used it at a desk. Everything on it works fine, just always needs to be plugged in or it switches off straight away.

Well sadly my mother passed away at the start of this year so recently I wiped the hard drive and used it at home as a home server with multiple USB hard drives plugged in for Time Machine, storage, cashing, print server etc. This seems like slight overkill for my needs really as I could just get a Raspberry PI to do most of what I need.

Just wondering what kind of price I would get for it if I was to sell? Its boxed and has everything with it, pixels on the screen all work etc just the battery doesn't work at all.I just bought a 2017 5K iMac so would'nt mind selling on the MacBook Air if its worth anything or shall I keep it?

2. kohlson macrumors 6502a

Certainly check out the price of a fully functional equivalent (that is, with a new battery) versus one that mostly works. That can help inform your decision moving forward. Also note that no matter what, the old battery may expand, warping the case and possibly doing damage to the trackpad.(As with my daughter's 2011 MBA).

3. madrich macrumors regular

madrich

Take a look at eBay offerings for the same or similar.

4. waring192 thread starter macrumors member

Cheers guys, might just keep it. They only go for around £250 with a working battery so will just take the battery out of mine. It doesn't even detect the battery anymore anyhow.