Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
The vast majority of Mac owners don't pay any attention and don't bother. Some people do extensive calibration and pay attention to every % tick. Where you fall on that spectrum depends on you. I'm in the former group.

Xikum

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2011
Calibration doesn't improve your battery life/health, it just gives you a more accurate reading. For good readings, all batteries need to be calibrated.

You don't HAVE to do it, if you are only using your laptop a few hours a day then there really isn't much point. Personally I don't calibrate mine, because I don't use it for anywhere near enough everyday for it to every run out of battery.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Apple's position is a new battery does not need to be calibrated.

OCD seems to rule most here with regard to 100% displaying vs 99 or 98%.

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
Apple's position is a new battery does not need to be calibrated.

OCD seems to rule most here with regard to 100% displaying vs 99 or 98%.

There a lot of worrying around here ... don't see that changing!

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
If you don't care about the exact accuracy of your battery gauge, you don't need to run a calibration cycle. Many people don't care, as long as their MBA runs for a reasonable amount of time between charges.

I don't run LiIon battery calibration cycles once a month, as some suggest, because the maybe 1% change in battery capacity over that time is far too small for me to care about.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Looking at the information in this link, I get the impression that the internal battery of the macbook air requires no calibration at all. Am I right?
The built-in batteries of the new Apple notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.